AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Data changes when I just sort the columns in keyword planner results.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I use the keyword planner to "Enter or upload keywords to see how they perform", the data changes when I sort the columns. (When I remove keywords from the ad group the data also changes for the keywords that I didn’t touch.)

Specifically, I enter my keywords, click estimate, and get taken to the graph. I enter a bid and then click on the name of the ad group, to see the terms individually. This takes me to a chart with Keyword, Clicks, Impressions, etc. which can be sorted. When I click on the heading to sort (highest to lowest clicks, lowest to highest average position, whatever) the values in the table change, often significantly (>50%). If I sort back to the way it was, the numbers change again, but not back to the same ones. This happens even when I do the sorts one immediately after the other. This does not see like it is giving me very reliable data, or am I just missing something obvious?Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Linda V
September 2015

Re: Data changes when I just sort the columns in keyword planner resul

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I can confirm this bug. I found a page where you can write about it directly to the development team :

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/aw_complaint/

About "When I remove keywords from the ad group the data also changes " , This is not a bug, When you pick a daily budget , by deleting a keyword the tool redistributes statistics to the remaining keywords. It is like throwing a party for 100 people and 110 arrive, you ask the chef to cut down the portions to accomodate the extra 10 people, they get a smaller share. When you delete some of the keywords for the remaining keywords the budget share increases.

I suspect that when you rearrange the columns, the many keywords receive a recalculated share of the daily budget but not in the same order , this is why small variations can occur. To make the same analogy, you have 100 portions of food but not all of them are equal, if the people who receive them arrive in a different order , they get different portions, but mostly the same.

Have you found variations of over 3% after sorting ascending and descending the keyword review estimates ? I haven't

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I sent an email to the support page you suggested and received the following prompt reply:

"I understand that the estimates are changing in the Keyword Planner tool when you sort the data. I reproduced this on my end as well and was able to confirm that this is a known technical issue on our end. While I do not know of a timeline for a resolution yet, please know that our engineering team is hard at work on a fix."

So yes, this is a known bug.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I can confirm this bug. I found a page where you can write about it directly to the development team :

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/aw_complaint/

About "When I remove keywords from the ad group the data also changes " , This is not a bug, When you pick a daily budget , by deleting a keyword the tool redistributes statistics to the remaining keywords. It is like throwing a party for 100 people and 110 arrive, you ask the chef to cut down the portions to accomodate the extra 10 people, they get a smaller share. When you delete some of the keywords for the remaining keywords the budget share increases.

I suspect that when you rearrange the columns, the many keywords receive a recalculated share of the daily budget but not in the same order , this is why small variations can occur. To make the same analogy, you have 100 portions of food but not all of them are equal, if the people who receive them arrive in a different order , they get different portions, but mostly the same.

Have you found variations of over 3% after sorting ascending and descending the keyword review estimates ? I haven't

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply! Yes, definitely more than 3%. I just played with a list sorting and resorting and got 804, 953, 876, 952, 925, 1157 impressions for the group, with no changes other than sorting. The highest value is 44% over the lowest (and this is not the biggest variation I have seen). This makes it really difficult to compare potential ad groups; on one go round one looks much better, on the next the other one will look much better. (I suspected the removing keywords part was a different issue, thank you for that explanation as well.) I will go to the page you suggested and share my experience.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I only use the review estimates for one keyword, this way I don't care about how the daily budget is algorithmically allocated to many more keywords.

You can try that and a big daily budget. The thing is it tries to fit all those keywords and predict how they will receive shared impressions , it cannot work well, it is based only on historical data and it cannot predict the future.

None of the keywords that I added had statistics that later on matched the ones from the keyword planner because every account has different CTR rates and QS numbers for keywords and this influences the real world no. of impressions and clicks.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I sent an email to the support page you suggested and received the following prompt reply:

"I understand that the estimates are changing in the Keyword Planner tool when you sort the data. I reproduced this on my end as well and was able to confirm that this is a known technical issue on our end. While I do not know of a timeline for a resolution yet, please know that our engineering team is hard at work on a fix."

So yes, this is a known bug.