AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

DKI in the Display Network, how will the keywords look like in Ads ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all you pasionate for testing and experimenting,

Today I want to try the DKI for GDN. I know that keywords in the GDN behave like "simple broad match only" but in here : link , I read after expanding "Increase traffic to your website" I found a suggestion to use DKI in a Display Network campaign :

"

Use keyword insertion

Try using keyword insertion to dynamically update your ad text to include one of your keywords that triggered your ad. Keyword insertion can make your ads more relevant to customers, helping to increase your clickthrough rate (CTR)."

I wonder if in this situation keywords will be inserted as they are , like exact matches , even if for matching a context they can be used with their broad meaning.Is there a way to verify how they appear after DKI takes over in a GDN text Ad ? I was thinking of testing on a single page placement.

Thank you.

[edit] changed topic title , replaced GDN to "Display network" to make it more clear[end edit]

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: DKI and the GDN , how will the keywords look like in Ads ?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hi Adrian,

DKI works with keywords, not search terms. It will use and display the keyword that triggered the ad, not the search term that matched the keyword. (match modifiers like [] " or + will be removed)

Ken

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I know it doesn't insert the search terms. The point is in "contextual targeting" many keywords match a page, but one is chosen dominant, the problem is since keywords are used in a broad match in the GDN, any variation of the meaning of the keyword can match the page.

1) Problem 1: when the synonim variation of a simple broad match is used in context targeting, what is inserted ? For example youtube is a synonim of TV.

So even for a Search network situation, if the search term would be "watching tv" it matched the "keyword variation" TV not the youtube word. What would be inserted in a search DKI the word TV or the word youtube ?

2) Problem 2 :  Let's imagine we have 3 keywords :

shoes

red

brand1

Now the context targeting matches a page using all the 3 keywords, and attributes the click to a single one. But what will the DKI insert, will it be "Red shoes Brand1" because the algorithm matched the entire expression to the page or will it be a single keyword exactly as we typed it in the A group ?

Thanks

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Hi Adrian,

To the best of my knowledge:
1) It will insert your keyword, not the match, not a synonym, not a variation. So if your keyword is youtube and people search for tv, "youtube" will be used in DKI
2) If you have multiple keywords matching, there will be a pre-auction in your account to see which one wins (which one has the highest ad rank for that search term), the one that wins will proceed to the "real" auction and if it's display, that keyword (the one that won) will be used in DKI.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

About 2) this question is about the Display Network, not the search. There is not "pre-auction" for inner competing keywords. Many keywords at the same time build a theme and match a page . It is detailed in here Context targetting , please expand 3.Your Ad gets placed and read this

"Suppose you've created an ad group to advertise your car dealership’s latest lineup and you've included keywords like fuel efficient cars and 2013 electric cars. We use contextual targeting to identify and place your ad on Display Network pages that match those keywords.

Your ad could also appear on pages that aren’t necessarily about cars but are being viewed by someone who has recently looked at pages about cars. For example, someone could begin their browsing session by researching a car purchase and then move on to reading the news. We might show your ad on the news site they’re viewing, even though the page itself isn’t about cars."

So how is DKI going to be used in Display Network targeting, isn't it a mind twisting problem ? Smiley Happy

Did you ever use this in a Display Network Ad Group and chased your Ad to see how it looks ?

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Ah indeed, interesting question :-) And no idea!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe it will match only 1 keyword , which is considered the most important one in "the theme" and which gets attributed the click also ( if a click happens) but I couldn't find it explained or tested anywhere.

I also wonder if inserting DKI in the Destination URL will work in GDN, like www.site.com/DKI_keyword

This strategy should increase the CTR for text ads.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

The Keyword strategy for both Search and display network are different.

One side we are using higher number of keywords in search and same time we are using smaller number of keywords in Display.

Dynamic keyword insertion is relevant when you are using keywords directly related to your business. But in display we are also using broader them based keywords.

Now see with example. You are running a PPC Agency in New York and GDN Campaign on the keyword "adwords forum" and using the title like
{keyWord: PPC Agency in New York}

It means when you ads appear on the " Forum topic" website then title will look like "AdWords Forum"

that is not relevant for your business.

However i have used with Display URL and never seen the Display URL in DKI.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: DKI in the Display Network, how will the keywords look like in Ads

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I was thinking of a situation when in A Display Ad Group we use keyword variations about similar products with tiny differences in characteristics like 

Laptop with i7

Laptop with i3

Laptop with i5

Laptop with Dual-core

Laptop with SDD

Or combination between a clothing and various colours , you could have a word like T-shirt and 15 coulours in the same ad group and 1 DKI Ad instead of 15 Ads to match each colour.

and the Description which is longer could include : Buy a {keyWord: New Laptop} to generate

Buy a Laptop with i7

Buy a Laptop with i3

Buy a Laptop with i5

Buy a Laptop with Dual-core

Buy a Laptop with SDD

Of course DKI is not relevant in all situations and it does not save Ad building time in all situations.

For example in GDN will the inserted keyword be bolded since it doesn't really match a search term ?

Bold text would be an advantage to draw attention.

Re: DKI in the Display Network, how will the keywords look like in Ads

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Also DKI would be very powerful in combination with the Gmail placement where keywords have more importance,   you could write the Ad tile like :

See this {keyWord: New Laptop} !

And insert each of the keywords in there without writing 100 text ads for 100 products or 100 granular ad groups with 1 ad for 1 product.