star_border

Customizing Conversion Tracking

AK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
AK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'd like to know how to get Adwords to import the dollar value of a conversion from a shopping cart

or other platform.

Does anyone understand the process? Are there any resources out there that explain this in detail?

Thanks

AK

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AK
September 2015

Re: Customizing Conversion Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi AK, I believe it's relatively simple (depending upon your (or access to) programming skills).

If you look at the conversion code snippet provided by Google when setting up conversions, you should see a line that looks like:

var google_conversion_value

This will, before changes, show the value you set when creating the conversion in the Adwords interface.  "All" you need to do is replace the figure shown with a programatically generated value for you actual sale.  I've done this in PHP several times although unfortunately I'm away from the office at the moment (and access to my files) so I can't now post an example.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Adam.

Depending on the shop you're using, a programmer should pull the conversion value from the shop's database and generate the javascript conversion code, on the fly, for every transaction.

PHP is not a pre-condition, it will have to be whatever programming language your e-commerce platform uses.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi AK, I believe it's relatively simple (depending upon your (or access to) programming skills).

If you look at the conversion code snippet provided by Google when setting up conversions, you should see a line that looks like:

var google_conversion_value

This will, before changes, show the value you set when creating the conversion in the Adwords interface.  "All" you need to do is replace the figure shown with a programatically generated value for you actual sale.  I've done this in PHP several times although unfortunately I'm away from the office at the moment (and access to my files) so I can't now post an example.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

AK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
AK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cobnut,

Thanks for that. This helps a lot. Any chance you could clarify what "a programatically generated value" means?

I am not a programmer and need to be able to explain to a client's programmer what is needed.

Is this value always written in PHP?

An example would be really helpful.

Thanks again.

Adam

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Adam.

Depending on the shop you're using, a programmer should pull the conversion value from the shop's database and generate the javascript conversion code, on the fly, for every transaction.

PHP is not a pre-condition, it will have to be whatever programming language your e-commerce platform uses.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

AK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
AK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks AdWiser. Both of those answers combined pretty much resolve this for me.

For non programmers, it basically boils down to being able to talk to a programmer about one's shopping cart system and asking them if they can create a piece of code that feeds a variable (in this case the dollar value per sale) into the Google Adwords Conversion tracking code snippet.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
That's exactly what needs to be done, and it's a programmer's job.

Good luck!