AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Cross Domain Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We currently manage adwords remarketing campaigns for many e-commerce stores. We have placed the adwords pixel on the stores' domain pages (abc.com). However, the conversion pixel needs to be placed on the order confirmation page which is in the domain of the store platform (xyz.com) which is used by many stores. As per our tests the conversion pixels are firing correctly. During the first couple of days we did get the conversion data but nothing after that.

Is there somekind of mechanism in adwords where it blacklists conversions coming from a particular domain for many different campaigns all having their own domains?

How do we go about to achieve cross-domain conversion tracking?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cross Domain Conversion Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

As per my understanding, Cross Domain tracking is more effectively tracked using Google Analytics. I would really encourage you to read this Google Developers help reference where all the technicalities are well explained in what it goes for implementing cross domain tracking:- https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cross-domain

I hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi, Lexity. It should work, see Tiffany's explanation here: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Conversion-Tracking-and-Goals-Going-across-m...

How is your setup, exactly? Which adwords account has the remarketing code, which has the conversion code and where are you tracking conversions?

If abc's adwords account was used to generate the remarketing code and also for the conversion code and then conversions are triggered on the various customer shops (franchises?) but recorded again inside abc.com's adwords account then I believe that as long as the cookies don't get deleted they should work.

Though you'll have to be creative with location targeting in order to make sure that each person that sees a remarketing ad is seeing the right one and is directed to the right shop.

If this is your setup, you should be able to see, in the Tools -> Conversions -> Web pages section which websites / shops triggered those conversions in the past.

I sure hope that your code is still in the right place and working.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks AdWiser and Pankaj for you help!

Yes. abc's account was used to generate the remarketing and the conversion codes. Lets say that I have another account for mnp.com. The conversion page xyz is common to both abc and mnp. And let's say that I have the ability to selectively insert the conversion code on xyz such that when it is reached through abc, abc's conversion code is triggered and if it is reached through mnp, mnp's conversion code is triggered. So only one conversion code will be triggered at any given point.

Theoretically, this all seems to be fine and I should ideally be seeing the conversions. So, I am left wondering if adwords have some sort of mechanism that prevents a particular web-page from contributing to conversion of two different accounts.

I did read Tiffany's explanation and my setup is possibly different in the sense that she doesn't say whether the conversion page could carry conversion pixel for one of more accounts. In my case there are many accounts which are sharing the same conversion page.

Thanks for all your help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Lexity, in order for AdWords to register a conversion, both the remarketing ad and the conversion code have to be served from the same account. So if someone sees a remarketing ad served from the abc account, then the conversion code has to belong to abc as well, no matter where it is placed.

What will not work is to use abc's remarketing code, show ads that take people to mpn, have them convert and fire the mpn conversion code (generated in the mpn account) and see a conversion in any of these two accounts.

The conversion ID and label must match the google click ID. If they belong to separate accounts, you'll see organic conversions in the account that generated the conversion code that fired.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry I forgot to mention that what I want to track is view through conversions (though I don't know how this would cause any differentiation).

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
The conversion type does not matter. Click ID and conversion label / ID must belong to the same account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am not sure what you mean by Click ID. I mean in view through conversion there is no click. Am I missing something here?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
You're perfectly right. I read view through and I thought of assisted. My bad.

Still, even if you only view it, the conversion is associated to an ad belonging to the account that served it. You get cookied as having seen an ad from abc. Now, if you go to a website that has the abc conversion code on it, the view-through will be recorded, for abc. If you see an ad served by abc and go to mpn, the view-through conversion will not be recorded in abc's account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand and expect that but am still not getting the conversions. So as per you views, I am not doing anything which is logically incorrect and should be getting the conversion data but that isn't the case.

Some piece is missing somewhere Smiley Sad