1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Creating large lists of keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm new to adwords and im overtaking and existing account. I'm struggling to find a way to work with a large number of keywords. An existing campaign has several thousands of keywords. I needed to check them trough keyword planner but it only supported 3000 keywords at a time. My question is: are there any other tools besides keyword planner that would help me create several thousand keywords from scratch including exact, broad and phrase matches and also correct and incorrect words typed, and how should i check them via keyword planner properly?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Creating large lists of keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I'm not sure about keyword planner -or any alternatives - but for generating different match types you can use Excel. Write simple formulas to rebuild the lists with " " or [ ] then copy paste back.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Magnet M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Magnet M, I guess I have to ask if you're certain the Account needs the number of Keywords you're looking at.  While there are some businesses that do require a large number of Keywords - for example those promoting a large number of items by part number - having too many Keywords is also one of the most common mistakes in AdWords.

If this is an existing Account that has been running and collecting data, rather than using the Keyword Planner I'd use the actual data collected - it'll be a lot more useful than the estimates given in the Planner since it'll reflect your precise situation.

Taking over an Account with a very large number of Keywords, I'd select a good date range - maybe 4 months or more, and being sensitive to any potential seasonal variations - then would use filters to examine Keywords that have not performed in that period.  Look at:

Keywords without impressions or clicks - pointless

Keywords with impressions, but no clicks - harm CTR

Keywords with clicks, but which produced no conversions - cost without return

Depending upon how harsh you want to be, I'd consider pausing all of the above.  If you are in an industry advertising by unique part number and/or which has a large number of products, it really doesn't make sense to continue advertising those products that don't sell or, perhaps worse, those that are generating impressions without clicks - harming your overall CTR - and those that receive clicks without conversions - increasing your costs.

Having an unnecessarily large number of Keywords affects your ability to successfully manage an Account, makes it difficult to produce highly relevant Ads and is usually counter-productive.

If you can tell us some more about the business - in general terms, what sort of products you sell - we may be able to give some more specific advice.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Further to what Cobnut suggests, you'll find that relating click throughs (google data) to profits (from your own data) you should find that 25% of the clicks results in 75% of the profits generated.

I'd pause any others and concentrate on the ones that are actually pulling their weight. It'll be a bit of a slog - it'll be well worth it. Plus by doing this manually, you'll get some great insights into the way your sales process actually works. Anything from then on should be on target to be profitable.