Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Creating Custom Affinity

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi.  I have a question about creating a "Custom Affinity" audience.  When I go to create a "Custom Affinity" audience, in the textbox where I enter the URL and keyword interests of my audience, it says in the "Tips" section:

"The more website URLs and interest keywords you add, the more precise your audience and wider your reach will be." 

This tip makes no sense to me, because "precise" and "wider" are usually opposite of each other.  For example, let's say I want my audience to be more precise (therefore I should get less impressions because I am "narrowing" my audience).  I would think that I should enter more URLs and more interest keywords in the textbox because the more information I enter into the textbox, the more I am refining and "narrowing" my target audience to Adwords - in theory, this "narrowing" of my audience would lead to a more narrower reach and not a "wider" reach.

If I wanted a "wider" reach, I would think that I should enter less information into the textbox - that is, I enter less URLs and less interest keywords.  If I enter less URLs and less interest keywords, I am doing the opposite of "narrowing" my audience - I am broadening my audience, which in theory, would then lead to a "wider" reach and more impressions.

Can somebody explain to me how this Customer Affinity textbox works?  I don't understand the tip: "The more website URLs and interest keywords you add, the more precise your audience and wider your reach will be" - this tip makes no sense to me. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
August 2016

Re: Creating Custom Affinity

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
As I understand it the precise and wider work like this...

Imagine we tell Google we're looking for people that are interested in cars.

That's a massive audience - but Google will be unclear as to who to include. Thus the "confidence" that Google will have about including someone or not is going to be low. The tendency, therefore, would be to be cautious about including someone... do we include someone if they are on a rent a car page? Or if they are reading about the Fast and Furious film franchise?

but if we can tell them that these people are interested in auto-mechanics and rally driving and performance cars, and they visit youtube channels about motor racing, etc - then all of a sudden Google's confidence about who to include increases, thus allowing them to offer you a wider audience.

It makes sense - think of it as if it were a dating site ;-) the more you can tell the site about yourself, the better they are going to be able to propose matches that are more likely to actually be a match. If you just tell them that you like Chinese food, well, it really could be almost anybody - and nobody...

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
As I understand it the precise and wider work like this...

Imagine we tell Google we're looking for people that are interested in cars.

That's a massive audience - but Google will be unclear as to who to include. Thus the "confidence" that Google will have about including someone or not is going to be low. The tendency, therefore, would be to be cautious about including someone... do we include someone if they are on a rent a car page? Or if they are reading about the Fast and Furious film franchise?

but if we can tell them that these people are interested in auto-mechanics and rally driving and performance cars, and they visit youtube channels about motor racing, etc - then all of a sudden Google's confidence about who to include increases, thus allowing them to offer you a wider audience.

It makes sense - think of it as if it were a dating site ;-) the more you can tell the site about yourself, the better they are going to be able to propose matches that are more likely to actually be a match. If you just tell them that you like Chinese food, well, it really could be almost anybody - and nobody...

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Gadwin,

I would forget about what the choice of words, and just accept the spirit of what Google is trying to say - more detailed information about your desired audience will give you better results.

Or, if you like, just imagine Google meant "qualified reach" instead of just "reach".

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Stickleback. Is there any documentation on this? I searched the web but I could not find any documentation from Adwords about how this works exactly (nor a video either). The best I could find is this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941?hl=en. But this link hardly goes into the details on entering URLs and interest keywords for Custom Affinity.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks RobSkelton. Yes, I suppose I have to accept the spirit of what Google is trying to say. At first I thought it was a typo in their Tips, that's why I came here to ask for more information. As per stickleback's reply, I think I get an idea of how the Custom Affinity textbox works. It would be great if I could find some better documentation on this (other than https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941?hl=en which hardly goes into any details). It's difficult for me to find any videos from Adwords that talks about this in detail either. Anyways, thanks for your help!

Creating Custom Affinity

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

una compania de servicios de tv porcable e internet con los m precios y ofertasejores