AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Create a new campaign versus edit an old one?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe I am not understanding the conversation here properly, but why would it be better for campaign optimization to keep editing the same campaign? Doesn't that make it harder to track metrics and any changes? How would old data be preserved if the campaign is simply edited?

Would it make more sense to replicate a campaign and edit it slightly to see what works or what doesn't?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anesha A
September 2015

Re: Create a new campaign versus edit an old one?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

In addition to what has been said above, you need to understand that historical performance is pretty important; the stats attached to your existing campaign does play a crucial role while you make progress in your account.

Also, running multiple campaigns with duplicate keywords is certainly not suggested. Doing this would impact the overall quality of your account.

What you can do from the currently running campaign is that, you can identify the low performing keywords and pause them from current campaign. Run a different variation (different match type) of those keywords in another campaign with different ad copy and see if the performance improves or not. That's one way of doing it.

Basically it would depend upon how well you structure the account and optimize it.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anesha A,

It's usually better to edit the campaign. When you start a new campaign, QS is not only based on performance within your account, it also considers keyword performace across all accounts. You could see a drop in all your keyword QS.

Old data is always preserved. You can run a change report to see what you changed an when, ot you can keep track of that your self.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anesha A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

In addition to what has been said above, you need to understand that historical performance is pretty important; the stats attached to your existing campaign does play a crucial role while you make progress in your account.

Also, running multiple campaigns with duplicate keywords is certainly not suggested. Doing this would impact the overall quality of your account.

What you can do from the currently running campaign is that, you can identify the low performing keywords and pause them from current campaign. Run a different variation (different match type) of those keywords in another campaign with different ad copy and see if the performance improves or not. That's one way of doing it.

Basically it would depend upon how well you structure the account and optimize it.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hello there,

I have my 2 cents as well!

In addition to what was said by @petebardo and @pankaj1782, if you have some minor (or even not that minor) changes to a campaign, a good way to go is try the Experiments! It's a great way to test some changes that you'd like to make without harming your current campaign. You set up an experiment, then test those changes to a portion of all auctions you're participating in. If those changes seem to work fine, you run them full force. If not - you simply delete them.

I use them quite a lot and am really fond of this tool! Please find more information regarding experiments here.

Milda Prušinskaitė 

Create a new campaign versus edit an old one?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Similar question at a lower level.  Is it better to create new ads within the same campaign and ad groups or edit existing ones?