Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Create a click-to-download ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to create a click-to-download ad for an android application.

Been trying and cannot get it to work...

I tried following the following steps in this link:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549053?hl=en&ref_topic=1713904

But it's not working.. I tried with my regular adwords account, opened a new MCC account. 

It seems that there is nothing I can do to make this step 3 work: 

Click “New ad” and choose “App / digital content ad” as your template. You’ll see the types of available ads." 

Any ideas??

Thank you very much! Getting more and more frustrated by the minute!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Create a click-to-download ad

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi OndigoMCC!

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

It is possible that you have not yet upgraded to enhanced campaigns, in which case you will not see the option "Click “New ad” and choose “App / digital content ad” as your template."  As you can see in the article you were following, you need to be upgraded to enhanced campaigns before this feature becomes available.

We are currently in the process of enabling all accounts to upgrade to Enhanced Campaigns status, and you should see the option to do so proactively over the coming weeks.

You will see a yellow box appear at the top of the page when you sign into your account.  Just choose the option to upgrade your account and follow the simple steps that ensue Smiley Happy

Once you have upgraded your account, you should see that ad feature become available.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, after spending 2 hours on this I realised that I needed to change the settings.

Now I got one step ahead.. this is what I got: 

Add new ad

But how do I get this option to appears?

Click “New ad” and choose “App / digital content ad” as your template. You’ll see the types of available ads.

Any ideas?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi OndigoMCC!

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

It is possible that you have not yet upgraded to enhanced campaigns, in which case you will not see the option "Click “New ad” and choose “App / digital content ad” as your template."  As you can see in the article you were following, you need to be upgraded to enhanced campaigns before this feature becomes available.

We are currently in the process of enabling all accounts to upgrade to Enhanced Campaigns status, and you should see the option to do so proactively over the coming weeks.

You will see a yellow box appear at the top of the page when you sign into your account.  Just choose the option to upgrade your account and follow the simple steps that ensue Smiley Happy

Once you have upgraded your account, you should see that ad feature become available.

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi kates, it seems we'd want to use the new app / digital content ad in campaigns that are targeted to Mobile Apps; but, we cannot upgrade Mobile App campaigns to Enhanced Campaigns.  What is the solution here?

Thanks,

Terry

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Terry!

So you're right.  Mobile App campaigns are slightly different to regular campaigns, insofar as they only target mobile apps.  Enhanced campaigns target all devices as default, with the option to opt out of mobile...which obviously wouldn't be relevant for your mobile app campaign!

If you want to create an app / digital content ad, you'll need to do so as part of a 'regular' (enhanced) campaign.

You would:

1. Go into your enhanced campaign
  2. Click on your 'ads' tab
  3. Select 'new ad', then 'App / digital content ad'
  4. Choose the relevant app platform you want to target (e.g., Android, iOS) from the drop-down menu.
  5. Select the “Look up” button. We’ll search for the application and add information about it to the form.
  6. Make sure the information about the app is correct.
  7. Click the Save button to create your new ad.

I hope that helps Terry!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I am trying to set up the campaign with the keywords for both and Android and an Iphone app. I want to have the same copy because to me... they are different platforms. How am I supposed to set this up, so I can have 2 ads per platform (so I can test)

Do I create an Iphone campaign with the adcopy and keywords for Iphone and one identical for Android. Or do I put both of them together in one adgroup?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Twoforone G!

I would suggest making 2 separate campaigns, with each campaign targeting a different device, i.e. 1 will target iPhones, and the other will target Androids.  You can have the same keywords and ad copies in each, as each campaign will be targeting different devices and thus you will not be competing with yourself.

You can read more about showing ads on mobile apps here Smiley Happy

Hope that helps!