AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Cpcs on GDN

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I 'm running a display campaign and realized that it seems very difficult to target managed placements (with or without kw) , especially with banners (Text ads seems easier to trigger on this point). Look at those figures -> Industry : seo, marketing online,  the average cpc are about 1,60  for text ads and graphic banners about 1,80 ! (cpc max 2,50 for the time being)

In fact, search and display seems to share the same cpc cost (at least for text ads). I thought that display would be a little bit cheaper..Smiley Sad

Your opinion would be appreciated ..Tks !

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author garguier s
September 2015

Re: Cpcs on GDN

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To me that is just an average that doesn't speak much for what you should see this week as avg. cpc.

It could be build from 1000 competitors or from 10.000 competitors bidding on the same category, we never know. For example you can think of targeting segments with low competition outside usual  business hours like the night or weekends, these time segments could have a much lower avg. cpc.

This is why scheduling in the Display Planner is important to discover different estimates.

It could be that the average comes from high prices in some seasons, 6 months per year like tourism and lower competition in other months. So your tested avg. cpc in november 2013 may not match your findings in march 2014.

You never know how many hundreds of negative keywords those competitors used when they averaged 1.8 euro per click or how grannular their ad groups were or what other exclusions they used.

Anyway a category hides thousands of sites, some sites may have a low avg. cpc, some may have a high avg. cpc. , the data mix contains too many unknown parameters .

The conclusion that I draw from those estimates is "aha so there was some competition" , nothing more.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Garguier

"Your click price gone down naturally or did you change bids, formats, ads very often ?" - no, this was entirely the doing of the Google algorithm finding better places because of who'd clicked my ads.

I change my campaigns around once a week to fine-tune them; sometimes it works, sometimes not!

I wouldn't fuss over industry standards, regard them as an unacceptable minimum ;-) The issue is that YOU make money from YOUR target audience, and if that happens to be someone else's that's just tough on them. Given the attitude of most advertisers, they'd neither notice nor care.

Tailor, tune and woo that market!

"3) I have noticed how AdSense now fits 250 x 300 banners in larger spaces like 300 x 600 and how text Ads are now bigger by design, this may be a cause of more expensive Ads, they can take up more space." - the most common size for images on the GDN are 250x250. There are as many spots for this size as for the others put together - excepting mobile, that is which is 320x something or other, you'd have to check the exact size.

Thinking of which ...

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
A thought for you - the display network is a very different animal from search. You shouldn't think of the display network being cheaper, but more to attract eyes that aren't searching for what you're providing. In each case, you need to work out their cost effectiveness.

On display, your text ads need to be short and sweet, direct! Otherwise they'll just not stand out. Getting more clicks does mean a better price for you - so anything you do to improve your ads will be rewarded by Google in both placing you and by charging you less.

How long has your campaign been running? Since mine began, my click price has gone down 25% and my CTR is up to around 0.60%, from 0.18% at the beginning. It still needs a lot of work, as you can see!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello ;
As a "rule of thumb" I would say that you are right. However; "managed placements" are usually the more "lucrative" sites which advertisers pick, and thus quite competitive.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@garguier s 

1) From your previous conversations, people reading this should know that you are using the "below the fold" exclusion, this is making your Ads receive a higher quality space and this means more competition and higher cpc. Try targeting some placements without this exclusion to test if avg. cpc is lowered.

2) I think that the GDN is cheaper through the perspective that you get a higher exposure , 10 times more impressions than in Search for around the same price, so the eCPM is cheaper in the GDN, the estimated price for 1000 impressions.

3) I have noticed how AdSense now fits 250 x 300 banners in larger spaces like 300 x 600 and how text Ads are now bigger by design, this may be a cause of more expensive Ads, they can take up more space.

4) If you want a lot of not so meaningful traffic at a low cost from the GDN try automatic bidding with topics+keywords at a bid like 0.13 with enhancedCPC to allow the bid to rise to 0.17 when necessary.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Gemma L ..Tks.

How long has your campaign been running?
1 week Smiley Wink

Since mine began, my click price has gone down 25% and my CTR is up to around 0.60%, from 0.18% at the beginning. It still needs a lot of work, as you can see!
Your click price gone down naturally or did you change bids, formats, ads vey often ?

@adrian..tks

1/ I remove the above the fold restriction.
2/  tks ! that what i though but wihtout naming it properly ..
3/ ok.
4/ Ok i'll give a try. I'll be running a campaign for this purpose only.

@Gemma , @moshe, @adrian

What about the level of cpcs i gave, looks normal for the industry or too dear ? Any , (i know i like surveys) cpc level per industry somewhere even if it's particular to a country.

Tks..

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To me that is just an average that doesn't speak much for what you should see this week as avg. cpc.

It could be build from 1000 competitors or from 10.000 competitors bidding on the same category, we never know. For example you can think of targeting segments with low competition outside usual  business hours like the night or weekends, these time segments could have a much lower avg. cpc.

This is why scheduling in the Display Planner is important to discover different estimates.

It could be that the average comes from high prices in some seasons, 6 months per year like tourism and lower competition in other months. So your tested avg. cpc in november 2013 may not match your findings in march 2014.

You never know how many hundreds of negative keywords those competitors used when they averaged 1.8 euro per click or how grannular their ad groups were or what other exclusions they used.

Anyway a category hides thousands of sites, some sites may have a low avg. cpc, some may have a high avg. cpc. , the data mix contains too many unknown parameters .

The conclusion that I draw from those estimates is "aha so there was some competition" , nothing more.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Garguier

"Your click price gone down naturally or did you change bids, formats, ads very often ?" - no, this was entirely the doing of the Google algorithm finding better places because of who'd clicked my ads.

I change my campaigns around once a week to fine-tune them; sometimes it works, sometimes not!

I wouldn't fuss over industry standards, regard them as an unacceptable minimum ;-) The issue is that YOU make money from YOUR target audience, and if that happens to be someone else's that's just tough on them. Given the attitude of most advertisers, they'd neither notice nor care.

Tailor, tune and woo that market!

"3) I have noticed how AdSense now fits 250 x 300 banners in larger spaces like 300 x 600 and how text Ads are now bigger by design, this may be a cause of more expensive Ads, they can take up more space." - the most common size for images on the GDN are 250x250. There are as many spots for this size as for the others put together - excepting mobile, that is which is 320x something or other, you'd have to check the exact size.

Thinking of which ...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I'd like to add that my worst ad (which was at one time my best) has a click price of 1.20 (0.38% CTR, it was higher) - - - and one I added yesterday, an improvement of another front-runner is now getting clicks at 0.43 (0.60% CTR)

The other poorer performing ads were paused to maximize the others.

Definitely some work to do there!!!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Gemma @Adrian 

Many thanks for sharinig your experiences..