AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Correctly Evaluating a Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adword Community,

I suppose I have worked backwards from getting maximum amount of impressions, clicks and calls to looking closely at defining critically who gets to see my Adword Ad using a Google Search.

1. What service I provide

2. Location

So if a potential client types in 'what I do' and the 'locations' I provide that service in then my ads will be shown.

Also in 'Settings' - 'Locations' I defined precisely the areas to 'Include'. Although I did not specifically 'Exclude' any locations.

In 'Keywords' I included only phrases that contained the words of the specific service I provide combined with specific locations where I provide it.

I also designed 'Ads' that confirmed the keywords they had used for my Ad to be shown. I also directed any clicks to a 'hidden' landing page of my website that specifically targeted them.

Also a fair 'bid price'

Whilst the Campaign was running if I did a search my Ad was continually place on Page 1.

Results: Impressions 36,  Clicks 0, Cost $0.00

I expect many of those 'Impressions' were generated by me.

My thoughts are that the people I want to specifically market too are simply not able to be targeted on Adwords. If I want to generate more impressions, clicks, calls I am going to need to expand Keywords to services that I don't provide and areas that are unprofitable to service.

Basically throw a wide net and haul up a net full of 95% wasted catch. Or another way, broaden the Keywords and Locations generate 100 clicks where only 5 of those 'Clicks' are potential quality customers ready to spend.

Have I missed something here setting up the basics of the Campaign.

Thanks for any advice

Michael J

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Correctly Evaluating a Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there Michael

First of all, if you are getting only 36 impression and your bid is high enought, it means that the keywords that you are targeting are not good for a campaing, because to get only 36 impressions ranking on 1st page its too low, you keywords must have 0-10 search volume. To check the search volume of keywords you should use the Keyword planner, that is in the tools section in the Adwords navbar. If you need more info on how to make a keyword research I could help you, just ask.

Adwords offer a great amount of tools to sniper-scope your target, but that is not always a good choice, more if its based on Locations. why is that? because its base on where the query is made, and maybe someone is searching for your product/service on his work which is far away from your target location, but his home is on it. Maybe he will search again for your product at home, and will see your ad, but at that time he is not interested.

Its kind of difficult to give you any real advice with no knowledge of the product, market or target, but as a general recommendation, based on my experience, Ive seen better results using target keywords and negative keywords than with location segmentation. Also, try to make your scope wider, and see if that works, with mobile people are making queries anywhere and anytime, so target you city, or something bigger than a neighborhood, and see if it works.

Low impressions is not always bad, if you are offering a very niche product, or something for ages that do not use too much internet. If its not the case, try to widen up your segmentation, so you can have more impressions, then you should have more than 4-5% CTR, if its less then you should check your ads, keywords and negative keywords.

Sorry for any errors, I am not an english native speaker, but I hope that you could take at least one good advice from all I said.

Take care.
J.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jose

I haven't used 'Keyword Planner'. I think the Adwords Consultant may have used this method. His Campaign did really well on 'Impressions' and also 'Clicks' and definitely got phone inquiries but conversion was non existent. Compared to another more traditional form of marketing (Gumtree) my conversion rate is 50% on inquiries.

I did load my keywords for this campaign into Keyword Planner / Volume Search. I don't really understand the results. 170 High $4.09 ?

It is a good point about 'Location' targeting. It actually entered my mind that people are Mobile or in their office but require the service in my target area.

For me the challenge is not how many 'Impressions' or 'Clicks' I get or calls I get. I would be happy with 50 'Impressions', 12 'Clicks' and 4 inquiries. If I can convert just two of those calls into sales I have my foot in the door. I can build on that.

Broaden the search outside your target market and the service you are wanting to promote to generate "Impressions' and 'Clicks' in the hope you can capture that small amount of genuine customers. I feel like I am trying to play high stakes poker with only $5 in my pocket.

I wonder what the result would be if I left the 'Keywords' the same and removed 'Location' restrictions? Effectively marketing to the entire City but the 'Keywords' restrict when the Ads are shown. Hmmmm. My brain hurts.

Thanks Joe

Michael

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

170 volume search is too little for a digital campaign, but if the budget is not too big that could work.
From my point of view, with no info on what are you trying to sell, I think that you should focus on conversion optimization, so here is what I would do.

1. If the keyword are segmentation a lot like: keyword+locations only. Then try to eliminate the locations segmentation, because its going to be too much.
2. I would do some local SEO, here is a great article about that: http://searchengineland.com/local-seo-rank-local-business-218906
3. On local SEO the first thing that you should do, and its really easy even for non-digital marketers, is to create a google my bussiness account, and fill in all you bussiness information, including images and all you can do, you will need to verify that you own it, It can be done by a postal code, or a robot will call you. here is the link: https://www.google.com/business/
4. you have a 0% CTR right now, maybe the problem is in the ads, that are being show (very little) but are not getting any clics, try to check them and use some best practices like having a call to action, telling a differential of your product, mentioning a promo, etc. Also, It should include your keywords, at least in the title in a natural way.
5. here are links for 2 keyword research tools, one is free and one give you a 1 month trial, which should be more than enough.

- Ubbersuggest (free): http://ubersuggest.org/  Place the keyword and it will show you the variations that people look for in google.

- SEMrush (trial): its a really great tool, just place a keyword and it will give you a lot of data and similar keywords https://www.semrush.com/

6. When there is a CTR issue, the standard procedure is to double check the keywords and/or Ads, like their quality score, the average position, etc. I really think that your problem relies on the keywords, and maybe you should try different things and see if it works. If you are not too sure about the changes just lower the budget and experiment a bit, when Adwords is done well it can give you a lot of ROI.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jose

Great advice and strategies.

Today I extended the location segmentation and opened that up more so it will be interesting to see any difference. I have had a few phone inquiries today but will have to wait for stats to come through.

I have registered with 'Google my Business' and did have it linked to my 'Ads' in Campaign settings. I did note that if I searched Google Page including my 'Google my Business' suburb I did notice I got a listing under the Map in search results. I also noticed that some competitors came up in that window under multiple Suburb searches. That made me a little suspicious as to 'gaming' the system. I also noticed there seemed to be a charge when someone 'Clicked' on that link? Man no 'free lunches' around here lol.

I will definitely look at those helpful links and make changes very gradually to see how they effect my Campaign.

There was a section I came across briefly that seemed to be indicating I can align specific adds to display with certain keywords. Unfortunately I got a little confused at the time and can't remember how I got there. I think that would be a good opportunity to further refine my Campaign.

I feel a little more confident with Adwords today. I was getting a little disheartened. Hopefully as I take on board your advice I will manage to get my toe in the door and start seeing some good results that I can begin to develop and invest in to grow my business.

Thanks Jose

Regards
Michael

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Michael J I can make a couple of observations that might help:

Firstly, try not to think in terms of "wasted" clicks or impressions.  No advertising campaign is ever, ever, going to produce a sale for every click so to some extent all campaigns have an element of "waste".  How you achieve success is to reach a point where the clicks that don't produce a sale are out balanced by those that do, so rather than thinking in terms of wasted clicks, think instead in terms of your overall objectives and whether you're achieving them.

Geographical targeting can vary tremendously in its accuracy and tends to become less reliable (or rather, useful) the smaller the area targeted.  Worse, the same sized area can perform better or worse depending upon where it actually covers, due to the way AdWords determines user location.  Similar to the thinking above, rather than saying my customers are definitely going to be in this specific small area, you may need to look at using a wider target to ensure you pick up people who may be "mis-reporting" their location.  Again, this may mean you'll get clicks outside of what seems a useful area, but bear in mind that where someone appears to be, may be quite different from where they actually are.

(One key exception to accurate location targeting is where you're targeting mobiles only - this can be quite precise).

As far as actually analysing results go, you must make sure you're looking at statistically significant data before making decisions.  What's statistically significant? In AdWords Search terms I'd be looking for an absolute minimum of 10 clicks per day for a solid period of at least a week, and to be honest, I'd ideally look for much more than that.  The thinking here is (again) that not every click will produce a sale, so you have to gather enough clicks to be reasonably sure a sale should have occurred.  For example, let's say you can expect a CTR (click through rate) of 10%, and a conversion rate (when a click turns into a sale) of 5%.  Purely from simple math, you might expect a sale to have occurred after 200 impressions or 20 clicks (10% CTR).  But that's not the real world.  In the real world conversions tend to come a bit more randomly so you'd probably want to look at a click amount that "should" have generated maybe 5 sales (100 clicks) and over a period of time to allow for this random element, and the possibility of a customer taking a few days to make their minds up.  Bear in mind I've just plucked a conversion rate of 5% out of the air, it could be your typical rate is much higher or much lower.

To sum up, one of the most common mistakes I see being made with AdWords is where advertisers don't give their Campaigns a chance to work.  The worst outcome of this is that they spend a little per month for many, many months (or even years) and end up spending a fortune in total when a better approach would have been to spend enough to generate statistically significant data from day one and then have a much better idea of whether AdWords can work or not in the longer term.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jose

I did open up the location segmentation a little but to be honest I think I have not really understood the relationship between Location target and Keyword+Suburb. Fact is someone could be in their office in the middle of the city but doing a search for Product+Suburb which is actually in my target area. Okay I think I should totally throw open the Location and have no segmentation at all and allow the Product+Suburb Keywords filter when the Ad is shown. It doesn't matter where the person is making the search from what is important my Ad only pops up when they type in Service+Suburb that aligns with my Keywords.

I used Keyword Planner and found some more Keywords for my service and added all the Suburbs to them.

I after opening up the Location a little I got the same amount of Impressions but managed to get a Click on the last run. I have the new Keywords running today.

Tomorrow I will run the campaign with no Location Segmentation.

Thanks for your help Jose

Regards
Michael

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon

Yes the 'penny has dropped' for me regarding segmenting the location audience. It is better to throw open the Location audience area and restrict Impressions using Service+Location via Keywords. That way no matter where anyone is in the City when they search for my service + their Location in my Keywords up I will pop.

Because the Campaign isn't really achieving any Impression Volume or Clicks I am making changes to evaluate what changes will raise the Impression Volume and increase Clicks. So at this point just seeing what underlying settings will change activity. So at this point the Campaign really doesn't have any meaningful statistics to form any opinion. Well other than it is so restrictive it isn't really a marketing platform just yet.

Thanks for you help I really appreciate your input.

Regards
Michael