Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Having trouble getting the conversion tracking done. You can see that the code is on the page but conversion tracking still does not work. I clicked my own ads multiple times to test but conversions are still not recording. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John W
September 2015

Re: Conversion tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Thank for the response. Yes the conversion page resides on the same site. I checked your links and all appear fine.

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Welcome to the community...!

Just clicking on your ads will only show conversions recorded in your account. You need to complete the sign up process and reach the Sign up confirmation page to trigger the conversion tracking code.

Have you completed the sign up process after clicking your ads? (just for confirmation)

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Deepak

Thanks for the response and welcome. Yes I have completed the sign-up process. The google code is on the page I linked and I did reach that page. Also have had many conversions through Adwords and none have shown as conversion.

Thanks

John

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi John,

Does your conversion completion page reside on the same website you are promoting or is it on different website.

This scenario is discussed by few adwords experts here-

Conversion tracking

Read more-

Checking your code in conversion tracking

Hope this helps.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John W
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Thank for the response. Yes the conversion page resides on the same site. I checked your links and all appear fine.

Thanks

John

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Here's one problem:

<script type="text/javascript" src="//www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion.js"&gt;

Note: the closing > on the part that fetches the script is html encoded, but it should not be. This prevents the script from being fetched, so it does not run at all.

Go in and fix that and your conversions should start recording properly. I did not see any other problems on the page.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Pete. Thats probably part of the problem. I called Google yesterday and they told me that the line breaks in the code were not the same as the provided code. Since it was not exactly the same, the conversions were not recording.

Thanks

John

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Yes, I saw that, too. But that part is still valid Javascript syntax. You have semi-colons at the end of each statement, so leaving the line feeds out is fine. Whoever told you that was the problem was not a Javascript programmer, probably not a programmer at all. The support people are taught to tell you that it must appear exactly as provided, even though it might not be true.

The HTML encoded > at the end of the script is most definitely a problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again Pete. You are probably right. It's probably easier for them to say "post it exactly as it apears" rather than stating the exact problem. Conversion tracking started working this morning. Thanks again.
John

petebardo wrote:

Hi John,

Yes, I saw that, too. But that part is still valid Javascript syntax. You have semi-colons at the end of each statement, so leaving the line feeds out is fine. Whoever told you that was the problem was not a Javascript programmer, probably not a programmer at all. The support people are taught to tell you that it must appear exactly as provided, even though it might not be true.

The HTML encoded > at the end of the script is most definitely a problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete