AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion to Expanded Text Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. We have 800+ text ads that need to be converted to Extended Text Ads.  I've tried a few different ways to do this in batch, but nothing seems to work:

I tried in my Adwords account, adding a headline s, path 1, and changing the final URL on multiply selected ads. All other fields are left as <No change>.  When I click Preview, it says 'No Changes Will Be Made.'

I tried using Adwords Editor, but basically replicated the above.

Finally, I tried exporting my text ads in Editor as Expanded Text Ads, filling-in the Heading 2, Path 1, and changing the final URL. I saved as a text file and tried to import it.  I receive an error that says a required column is missing, but not which column (I'm only using the columns that were exported).

Any help is appreciated!  To change each ad individually will take days...there has to be a easy way to do this, I just can't figure it out.

Thank you. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The final method you mentioned is the quickest and easiest. Open the exported file in Excel, and when finished just save it and import it back. Don't "save as".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, this did not work...I received the same result...a required column is missing.  

I did not 'save as' just saved.

Any other ideas?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Joe B,

To add to Rob's advice, please go to your AdWords account and create a a new, from scratch, expanded text ad and then download it... and compare that spreadsheet's columns to your main one, then adjust, edit and upload as Rob suggested. 

Please let us know how that goes. 

Kind Regards,

James