Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Value Confusion

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Google community! Smiley Happy

I am quite confused about this conversion value when setting up conversion tracking.

Heres my situation: We operate a 1-product website, that is, 1 website sells one product. However, people can opt to pay in full, say 50.00 for a one-time payment, or 10.00 each month.

1. In my case, how do we set up the conversion value?

2. Should the conversion value reflect the price? For example we want a column that'll show me how much sales we have made so far: example - we have 4 conversions, and we want a column that will show 200.00 in sales (50.00 each purchase) even if buyers opted to pay in installments.

conversion sample.JPG

Also, should we open up another website with a different product, but this time the price is 60.00 for one-time payment or 15.00 each month for 4 months, do we have to create a new conversion tracking or use the one that we used above (for the 50.00 product)? Thank you in advance. Smiley Happy

Ed.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversion Value Confusion

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
You can use the same conversion tracking code and pass conversion value dynamically in the code.
So you can choose option "The value of this conversion action may vary (for instance, by purchase price)" and put conversion value in code:
var google_conversion_value = 50.00;

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there!

Thank you for the response. If we set the conversion value to 50, can we reuse this very conversion tracking code in another website where the product price is 60?

How would setting up the conversion value as "may vary" than have it as a static value of 50.00?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
You can use the same code and only change google_conversion_value parameter by setting it dynamically (on your website) depending on conversion value.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I really appreciate the response. How does changing the google_conversion_value parameter for website # 2 (60.00 product) with a default value of 50 to just assigning a default value of 10 (example) instead of 50 for website #1?

1. If we assign a default value of 10 for website 1, will each conversion count as 50.00 sales still?

2. What about if we use a default value of 50 for website 2? With a product selling for 60.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Just a thought though, we set up conversion tracking as follows:

"Each conversion has a different value. If there's no value, use 10.00."

In this case, we have 5 conversions, and each conversion is being counted as 10.00, not the actual price of 50.

the var google_conversion_value is 10.00.

1. Why is it acting like a static value is in place?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
A default value in conversion settings is only used when you don't send a value with conversion tracking code on website.
Just put conversion tracking code on "thank you page" and let your websites software set google_conversion_value parameter.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Tomasz.

Thank you for the patience. I really really appreciate it. You mentioned:

"The value of this conversion action may vary (for instance, by purchase price)" and put conversion value in code:
var google_conversion_value = 50.00

What you are saying is set up "The value of this conversion may vary" but do not assign a default value (see screenshot)? So we change it to zero? And manually change the value for var google_conversion_value = 50 for website 1 and var google_conversion_value = 60 for website 2? And we stick the code to the thank you page. Is that it? Is it as simple as that?

conversion sample2.JPG

Thank you in advance.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Edward F
January 2016

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
For your current website, in the value section select "Each time it happens, the conversion action has the same value", and enter 50.00. In your reporting you will then see the $50 value for each sale.

There is no need to re-use conversion codes on different sites.

If you start another website, and it also has one product, create a new conversion and use the price of the new product.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Edward F, while @Tomasz_C is quite correct in saying you could use the same code and just change the value of the conversion, as @RobSkelton suggests, if you're operating an entirely separate website from the first, I'd actually recommend setting up a separate conversion tracking code.  Although not strictly necessary for the value problem, using a separate tracking code will allow you to more easily separate these two conversions in your reporting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits