AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
 Does anyone know what the following means?

"Mismatch of conversion label in <script> tag and <noscript> tag."

We have added the code to our conversion page, conversions are being counted but my Google Tag Assistant says that this is a critical error we need to fix.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Don
2 Expert replyverified_user

Conversion Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Don S,

I can't give you specific help on this without seeing the actual code. In the AdWords conversion code, there are basically 2 sections, one for Javascript enabled browsers and another for browsers with no Javascript or Javascript disabled. The second part is between the <noscript> tags.

Both parts will define the conversion label. That label determines which conversion action is recorded in your account. The google_conversion_label value must match the part of the img tag src that follows "label=".

Since conversions are being counted, and assuming attributed to the proper conversion action, I would venture to say the value of google_conversion_label is correct. Make sure the label in the img tag is the same as that value. I'd copy from google_conversion_label and paste it into the img src.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Conversion Tracking

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Don,

There are two parts of the full AdWords conversion code; script and noscript. The noscript portion is the same as the script portion, however it will function on webpages where there are policies against using JavaScript. Most website analytics and conversion tags have both options, and the JavaScript option is better because it can provide more details about the user. If you are currently tracking conversions then the noscript portion is likely unnecessary.

Your issue specifically involves matching the conversion label ids in both portions of the tag. I've taken a sample conversion tag and highlighted the portions that need to match regarding this issue.kijokh.png

Hope that helps

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Top Contributor, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're having the exact same issue.  As in your example, the two codes are EXACTLY the same.  Just a cut and paste from the Google-generated code.  Still says: "Mismatch of conversion label in <script> tag and <noscript> tag." in Google Tag Assistant.

Both codes are exactly the same.  I notice in the noscript though, that there are no quotes around the label (as in your above example).  Wonder if quotes would fix it?

Conversion Tracking

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi David L,

In the noscript portion, the quotes surround the entire url for the src, as shown in the example. Adding quotes around the label value will not fix this.

A couple questions.

1. Are conversions recording? If so, I'd ignore the message.

2. Are you providing a dynamic value for google_conversion_value from your shopping cart? If so, you're test page may not have a value. That would break the script part, meaning there would be no value for google_conversion_label. Depending on how Google verifies the script, that could cause this issue. When providing a dynamic value for google_conversion_value I will enclose the value in quotes, single or double doesn't make any difference. That way the script part isn't broken when no value is returned from your shopping cart.

I'm guessing, but I would parse the src to get the label value and compare that to the value of the google_conversion_label variable. If no value for google_conversion_value is provided, google_conversion_label would be undefined, and that's not a match.

Oh, Jim says the noscript part is for "webpages where there are policies against using JavaScript". That's not exactly right. It runs whenever Javascript is disabled, whether a policy on the webpage on an option on the browser itself. I would not remove it, and it would probably not solve your problem. You'd get a different error/warning message, noscript part not found, or something like that.

Do you have a debugger on your browser? If you're using Firefox, Chrome, IE, or Edge you probably do. Bring up your conversion page. Go to your Javascript console. Enter google_conversion_label there to see what the value is. In IE you may need to show that in an alert: alert(google_conversion_label);. You really only need to see if it has a value assigned. If it does, it is probably correct. Check it against the code anyway to be sure.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords