AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking needs Google Analytics Goals?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for making me a better person in terms of Adwords. Have learned a lot during past week but here is one confusion.

I want to track conversion of 'software download'. Till now, the tracking was on the basis of event tracking code which use to reflect in Google Analytics.  Clicking the button, a 'Thank You' pop comes up and software file starts getting downloaded. Event tracking code has been implemented on it.

As I have been assigned to show my concern, I came up with the idea of a 'Thank You' page and Adwords conversion tracking code has been implemented. Because  I wanted to know which keywords or which ad brought traffic to this conversion (software download, in this case). 

Now, kindly help me in understanding:

1- If I did right thing to have a 'Thank You' page instead of event-tracking enabled button to track conversions. As I read somewhere that Event Tracking is good only when we want 'numbers' and Conversion Tracking is to know not just numbers but also which ad or keyword made a conversion.

2- Where to see conversions on the basis of Event Tracking in Analytics.

3- Do I need to create a Goal in Google Analytics for this 'Thank You' page or would the conversions show up , in Adwords and Google Analytics automatically?

Excuse me if it got lengthy but I wanted to explain my confusion.

Thanks, in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack N
September 2015

Re: Conversion Tracking needs Google Analytics Goals?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Jack,

To your questions in the consecutive order -

1. Yes, having a conversion setup with thank you page will give you more insights
  2. To be able to see conversions based on Event Tracking - In GA you will need to setup a  goal for the same, and in AdWords, you will need to import this goal as a conversion
  3. You do not necessarily need to create a goal to see 'thank you' page conversion in GA if your GA and AdWords are linked to each other. If they are linked, you can see them under AdWords section in your GA account, and in Conversion section in your AdWords account.  However, if your accounts are not linked, you will need to setup conversions separately, with conversion code in AdWords (I believe you have done that already), and as a goal in GA.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 11
Rising Star
Hi Jack,

You do not need to create a new tag and place it on the website. The Remarketing Tag is just a counter & an identifier for the number of users who visit your website. WHat you need to do is create new lists or custom combinations using URL rules to bifurcate your audience as per your requirements.

So yes, just go ahead and create new lists of users and then add them to your Remarketing campaigns to start targeting them.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jack,

In a word, Yes you need to set this event up as a Goal in Analytics and then import this goal as a conversion in AdWords to track it to the appropriate campaign, ad copy, keyword, etc.

Here is the link on how to set up goals: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en

Check under -> Goal configuration options - > Goal types for setting up event goals. This should help you for sure.

Here is the link to help you import these goals conversions in AdWords: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en

Hope this Helps!

Do let us know if you have any further doubts on this.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Jack,

To your questions in the consecutive order -

1. Yes, having a conversion setup with thank you page will give you more insights
  2. To be able to see conversions based on Event Tracking - In GA you will need to setup a  goal for the same, and in AdWords, you will need to import this goal as a conversion
  3. You do not necessarily need to create a goal to see 'thank you' page conversion in GA if your GA and AdWords are linked to each other. If they are linked, you can see them under AdWords section in your GA account, and in Conversion section in your AdWords account.  However, if your accounts are not linked, you will need to setup conversions separately, with conversion code in AdWords (I believe you have done that already), and as a goal in GA.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You are awesome. You clearly understood the problemsSmiley Happy

Thanks, Ratan

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the links.

Best,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I am happy, I could help Jack Smiley Happy

Happy Advertising!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Your welcome Jack. Smiley Happy
Cheers,

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I am learning Adwords and you have been so instrumental in the path. One quick (sorry for being **bleep**):
If I am to run a Display Remarketing campaign, I need to create a list first. Now, in the 'Share Library'->Audience I see 3 lists already. So,

Is it correct to assume that the remarketing code is already in the site and I am not supposed to create new code?

And I should just create a list as per the requirement and add the list in "Display Remarketing" campaign?

Thanks,

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Shashank! The links are very helpful.

One small concern, as I start a remarketing campaign in Adwords and go to Shared Library-> Audience, I see 3 lists there.

Here, do I need to create another tag for 'Display Retargeting' campaign and add the new list which I would create?

Or, I should just create a new remarketing list and there would be no code generated to implement on the website?

Just confused if I would meet any new code to insert into the site or there would be no new tag and I am just supposed to create a new list?(As 3 lists are already there, so I assume there has to be code in the site)

Thanks,

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Hi Jack,

If in your Shared Library, you see a 'Your Tag is active' prompt on the right top corner then yes, your remarketing code is already present on the website. Please an example of the same below:

Shared Library.png

Do let us know if you have any other queries on this.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,