AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking Code and Retargeting Code question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I really like being on here. I really appreciate the input veteran advertisers gave to my previous posts. Smiley Happy

Now, again I am another question (or more correctly, questions).

1. When creating rules for the remarketing lists, we can choose between URL contains, and URL equals. What exactly is the difference? To give an example, whats the different between URL Contans www.adwords.com and URL equals www.adwords.com?

2. Retargeting Code and Conversion Tracking Code.

a. The ID (strong of numbers) for both codes are the same. How do I differentiate between the two using google tag assistant?

b. For the conversion code, do I have to go to the thank you page, and view the page source, or I can just view the page source from the homepage and confirm the codes placement?

c. If we have the retargeting code on the page, BUT NOT the conversion tracking code, will we see conversion figures under the conversion column in adwords?

Thank you very much for the future input again Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Edward F
January 2016

Re: Conversion Tracking Code and Retargeting Code question

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Edward F,

Welcome again!

URL Contains Vs URL Equals

If you set URL contains www.adwords.com, it means any or every URL on your website that has this very part in the URL, will be included. So practically, it will include all pages on your website, except for subdomains if any.

If you set URL equals www.adwords.com, it will include only the page(s) that exactly matches your condition. It will not include other variations of your same page. For intance, www.adwords.com/index.html or default.aspx etc. If you have similar URLs which are accessible on your website directly, the above rule will not include them.

Further, if both http and https versions of the URLs are accssible on your website, this rule can include both http://www.adwords.com and https://www.adwords.com. You can see that your condition is met in both the URLs here.

To your second question, @PPCKirk has already given you valuable insights. But his answer considers the contexts of Google Tag Manager (GTM), not sure if you are using GTM or not. If not, let me try helping you in the context of direct code implementation on the website.  

When you use Tag Assistant Chrome Extension, it recognizes Remarketing and Conversion Codes separately. If you have both the codes on any page, Tag Assistant will recognize and show them individually to you. ID is not important for differentiation here.

To troubleshoot your conversion code, you need to go the page where you have implemented it. You can't troubleshoot it from homepage as you won't find your conversion code there. The best way is to use Tag Assistant on the page where your code is implemented.

To your final question, if you do not have conversion code implemented, you won't see any conversion in your account (except for offline, imported, or call from ads conversions if any). Your remarekting code won't do conversion reporting. It serves a different purpose and that is creating a list of audience who visited your website.

One quick note, make sure you have your remarketing code also on the conversion page. It will help you build a list for audiences who got converted.

Hope it helps. If it doesn't, feel free to post back. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

HI Edward,

(1) To answer your first question, URL contains "adwords.com" (to put it in adwords language, think of it like a phrase match keyword Smiley Happy means anyone landing on ANY page with adwords.com and any other characters will be cookied and thus added to that list. URL equals [adwords.com] means only visitors to the page adwords.com (in this case, the home page - think of "equals" like exact match in Adwords lingo) would be cookied and included in this list.

(2) a. You shouldn't need to worry about the ID being the same because you will be setting up 2 separate tags in GTM. One for remarketing that will fire on all pages, and one for conversions which will only fire on the checkout page.

b. I would suggest utilizing the Chrome extension Google Tag Assistant to help you with this. Also, it's also wise to use the Preview version of GTM so you can check those things without publishing any tags.

c. No, the retargeting code won't fire as a conversion, only the Conversion code will.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the input. I really appreciate it. So we set up the rule as:

1. Visitors of a page who didn't visit another page:

Visitors who visited : URL contains www.adwords.com

But didnt visit another page with any of the following: URL equals www.adwords/thankyou.com

a. In this case, we are setting up the list correctly, we remarket to people who visited all

the pages in our site with "adwords" except those who visited www.adwords/thankyou.com?

2. When using the google tag assistant by chrome, say we want to confirm placement of the conversion tracking code,

do we go to www.adwords/thankyou.com and turn on tag assistant, or do we just turn it on on www.adwords.com?

3. You mentioned "No, the retargeting code won't fire as a conversion, only the Conversion code will.".

This part I full understand. My question however is, supposed the CONVERSION TRACKING CODE is not set up anywhere on the website, but we have the REMARKETING TAG, in this case, will we still see figures under the Conversions Column in the google adwords campaigns list page?

Thank you again Smiley Happy

Edward.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Definitely,

1. Yes, that looks to be correct. Another way to do this (my preferred way if you have enough purchasing customers) is to keep all of my lists clean with no exclusions, and then Add all the /thankyou visitors into their own list, and then add that list as an exclusion into each of the campaigns in the Adwords UI. Either works.

2. I'm no coder so there might be better ways. I would say the best way is to use the Preview Mode in GTM. Once you enable that, navigate to your website and the page you want to see and a nifty little box pops up from GTM on those pages telling you what is and is not firing. You can also do that with Google Tag Assistant on the Thankyou page, but this way you are doing it before pushing anything live.

3. To be honest with you, I've never done that but I assume they will not show up otherwise they would be showing up regardless of whether the Conv Code is live or not. I don't believe it is the conversion ID that is important, it is all the other backend stuff that GTM is doing for you (the stuff that shows up in Adwords UI when you make a remarketing list) that tells Adwords whether it is remarketing or a conversion. Probably still worth testing, but I can't imagine you would see any conversions showing up even though you had to enter the Conv ID into the GTM Remarketing tag.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Edward F
January 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Edward F,

Welcome again!

URL Contains Vs URL Equals

If you set URL contains www.adwords.com, it means any or every URL on your website that has this very part in the URL, will be included. So practically, it will include all pages on your website, except for subdomains if any.

If you set URL equals www.adwords.com, it will include only the page(s) that exactly matches your condition. It will not include other variations of your same page. For intance, www.adwords.com/index.html or default.aspx etc. If you have similar URLs which are accessible on your website directly, the above rule will not include them.

Further, if both http and https versions of the URLs are accssible on your website, this rule can include both http://www.adwords.com and https://www.adwords.com. You can see that your condition is met in both the URLs here.

To your second question, @PPCKirk has already given you valuable insights. But his answer considers the contexts of Google Tag Manager (GTM), not sure if you are using GTM or not. If not, let me try helping you in the context of direct code implementation on the website.  

When you use Tag Assistant Chrome Extension, it recognizes Remarketing and Conversion Codes separately. If you have both the codes on any page, Tag Assistant will recognize and show them individually to you. ID is not important for differentiation here.

To troubleshoot your conversion code, you need to go the page where you have implemented it. You can't troubleshoot it from homepage as you won't find your conversion code there. The best way is to use Tag Assistant on the page where your code is implemented.

To your final question, if you do not have conversion code implemented, you won't see any conversion in your account (except for offline, imported, or call from ads conversions if any). Your remarekting code won't do conversion reporting. It serves a different purpose and that is creating a list of audience who visited your website.

One quick note, make sure you have your remarketing code also on the conversion page. It will help you build a list for audiences who got converted.

Hope it helps. If it doesn't, feel free to post back. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the clarification, Ratan. I misread the original question and thought it was GTM specific. Sorry about the confusion!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the clarifications! Very very very helpful!!!! I really appreciate the help!

Edward.