Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Contradicting Keyword Matching Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

First post here, looking forward to getting to know you all.

I've just been asked to review a small campaign my agency is running and I notice that some of the keywords we're using employ the following format:

[+great +big +keyword]

Quite new to Adwords so am learning as I go, my research tells me that the square brackets entail exact matches are required before our ad is shown, whilst "+" entails broad matches. Surely this is contradictory?

Or have I missed something?

Best,

OV

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Re: Contradicting Keyword Matching Setup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are correct; You cannot "mix and match" match types. In this case the modified broad match will apply.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by pankaj1782 (Top Contributor)
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You are correct; You cannot "mix and match" match types. In this case the modified broad match will apply.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Perfect. Thanks!

--
Oliver V

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Oliver V;

I am told by one of our experts that the  system could work also from  outside to the  inside - i.e. applying the brackets   and ignoring the +.

Anyway, the governing rule is: use only one match type. "Mixing"  will end in an unpredicted match of a keyword to a query.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

I believe in this case the second option is what would occur. This can be tested by importing that keyword into editor. the keyword will be set to exact match. So it looks as though the system moves outside in.

I vaguely remember changing a MBM to exact before and was surprised when I found my error & saw that it was getting traffic as it was set to +adc on exact and no one would ever type in the '+', So i am assuming it was ignored. Can not remember the specifics though.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I also recall being told at some point that once the + gets within either " " or [ ] it ceases to become a modifier and becomes a symbol which Google will ignore...