AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Contractor asking for log-in credentials (password) - says he has reached some sort of "limit" ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've hired an adwords contractor to help me create and set up new campaigns.

When I added him via my admin panel, he replied that he is already maxed out on the number of accounts he's linked to, and that instead I should send him my adwords log-in credentials (which is also my gmail account). To be clear, this is my email AND password!

When I pushed back, he insisted that "My account is associated with maximum number of adwords accounts " and that the only way to proceed would be to give him my log in credentials and assured me that several other clients have done so with no problem.

This sounds fishy to me, especially since it makes no sense that Google would limit the # of adwords accounts that someone could be granted access to.

Is this person telling the truth? Is there a limit? Or is the SEM agency a hoax and an elaborate phishing scam?

Thank you,
M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maria W
July 2016

Re: Contractor asking for log-in credentials (password) - says he has reached some sort of "lim

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Maria W

Your concern is valid, and I would not do it.  This person is most likely telling the truth, but it is still a red flag in my opinion.

It sounds like this person is not using an MCC account which is what a true Adwords professional should be using. You can read up on these here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6139186?hl=en

Adwords does offer an option to share access with Google accounts that don't have their own Adwords accounts.  There is a limit in place there.

Again, your concern is valid, and you should not surrender your access credentials to your Google account.  If you must work with this person, a workaround would be to create a new Google account, grant it shared access to your Adwords account, and then give him the access credentials to the new account.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maria W
July 2016

Re: Contractor asking for log-in credentials (password) - says he has reached some sort of "lim

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Maria W

Your concern is valid, and I would not do it.  This person is most likely telling the truth, but it is still a red flag in my opinion.

It sounds like this person is not using an MCC account which is what a true Adwords professional should be using. You can read up on these here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6139186?hl=en

Adwords does offer an option to share access with Google accounts that don't have their own Adwords accounts.  There is a limit in place there.

Again, your concern is valid, and you should not surrender your access credentials to your Google account.  If you must work with this person, a workaround would be to create a new Google account, grant it shared access to your Adwords account, and then give him the access credentials to the new account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brilliant! I love the idea of just creating my own new email address that then becomes THIS person's log-in. WHEW! SO simple, so smart - -so effective. Thank you for your wonderful (and prompt!!) reply!