AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Confusion over low quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm confused.  My ads were showing fine, and now for some reason most of my keywords are marked as rarely showing due to low quality score.  My ads contain a lot of the words that relate to what we do (eg: 'It's In You, France - Spiritual retreat - channeling, astral projection, energy healing' or 'It's In You, France - Spiritual retreat - 6 life-changing days to joy & empowerment'.   The landing page http://itsinyou.net/2014/05/04/its-in-you-france-6-days-to-joyful-discovery-and-empowerment-2/ contains pretty much all of the terms, or close matches to them, yet for some reason they are considered low quality. There seems to be no consistency either.  For example, 'spiritual retreat' is eligible, 'spiritual retreats' 'spiritual development' 'spirituality' aren't. And I can now write off search terms such as meditation, healing, intention, manifestation, channeling, intuition, psychic development, astral projection, self-hypnosis and the like.  I can't get my head around it at all.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Confusion over low quality score

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Peta, the primary component of Quality Score is CTR (click-through-rate) so if your scores are low, that's the first metric you should concentrate upon.  CTR is not influenced by your website (since it's measured before the visitor reaches the site) so it's all about your Ads and their appeal to the audience they're being shown to.  If your CTR is low, there's a few reasons why this may be:

1. Your Ads are showing for irrelevant searches.  This is most likely caused by using keywords that are too broad and/or which could have multiple meanings.

2. Your Ads are not attractive to search users and/or appear irrelevant, even if the search isn't.  In most cases your search users will have several Ads to choose from so it's important to test different text and variations.

3. Your Ads may be appearing very low on the page.  Generally speaking CTR increases the higher up the page your Ad is shown so average positions below #5 or so may get a lot fewer clicks for the same number of impressions as an Ad appearing at position #2.

Ad Relevance is also a factor, but it's not just matching the keywords to the Ad text.  Ad Relevance refers to the match between the search term and the keywords (again, poor results here indicate too broad a keyword selection), between the keywords and the Ad text, and the Ad and the web page.  If the latter two appear matched up, I'd look at your keywords and Ad Group structure.  It's vital that your Ad Groups are organised into tight "themes" where all the keywords in a single group are very closely related.  In your case, "spiritual retreat", "astral projection" and "energy healing" should all be in separate Groups with their own Ads, the Ads should strongly reflect that particular term and, if possible, the landing page should focus on that element.

I hope this helps, come back if you have any other questions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Peta,

Quality score is not only based on Keyword in URL. It's all about Relevance and User Experience. I gone through your page and Felt it's too large (IMO), Description is not Optimised.

When you are working on adwords, Landing Page is playing good role. You should Optimise it with Search Engine and User point of View.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Peta, the primary component of Quality Score is CTR (click-through-rate) so if your scores are low, that's the first metric you should concentrate upon.  CTR is not influenced by your website (since it's measured before the visitor reaches the site) so it's all about your Ads and their appeal to the audience they're being shown to.  If your CTR is low, there's a few reasons why this may be:

1. Your Ads are showing for irrelevant searches.  This is most likely caused by using keywords that are too broad and/or which could have multiple meanings.

2. Your Ads are not attractive to search users and/or appear irrelevant, even if the search isn't.  In most cases your search users will have several Ads to choose from so it's important to test different text and variations.

3. Your Ads may be appearing very low on the page.  Generally speaking CTR increases the higher up the page your Ad is shown so average positions below #5 or so may get a lot fewer clicks for the same number of impressions as an Ad appearing at position #2.

Ad Relevance is also a factor, but it's not just matching the keywords to the Ad text.  Ad Relevance refers to the match between the search term and the keywords (again, poor results here indicate too broad a keyword selection), between the keywords and the Ad text, and the Ad and the web page.  If the latter two appear matched up, I'd look at your keywords and Ad Group structure.  It's vital that your Ad Groups are organised into tight "themes" where all the keywords in a single group are very closely related.  In your case, "spiritual retreat", "astral projection" and "energy healing" should all be in separate Groups with their own Ads, the Ads should strongly reflect that particular term and, if possible, the landing page should focus on that element.

I hope this helps, come back if you have any other questions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hmm, interesting points to consider. Difficult to know how to word separate campaigns as the main point of the retreat is that we will be doing all those things (and more). We are in first page position for the vast majority of the keywords. And as I say, up until this morning, they have all been displaying fine (and I've got a big bill from Google to prove it). I really don't understand why spiritual retreat would show and spiritual retreats wouldn't.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Both Keyword have different Compt level. I can suggest to Make this page bit short also Add Your keywords. "retreats " word is not mentioned a single time.

Optimise your Landing Page according to your Keyword.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What would be considered to be a reasonable CTR?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Reasonable? CTR are always Vary. From My personal point of view if you are getting Around 15% then it sounds very good.

My Thoughts.

Need your Input @Nisal L, @ @Dave_Davis  and @MosheTLV

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Kandarp, I've changed the text and some tags, so hopefully this will make a difference. It's just really odd how we have been getting clicks all week, and people are clearly finding the content relevant and staying on the page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, that gives me a good benchmark.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Peta,

A 15% CTR would be difficult to achieve/maintain, especially once you start getting more than a dozen or so impressions. As Kandarp points out, what's a good CTR can vary. In the short term I would first aim for a CTR in the 2-5% range, and then over time see if you can improve on what was previously your best.