AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Confusion over conversion code when using multiple platforms...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
New to Adwords and online advertising and trying to wrap my head around a few things.  Hopefully this makes sense...

I have FB ads and Adwords ads that go to their own landing pages.  Both of those pages have forms and after the form is filled out the visitors going to the same “Thank you” page. On that "thank you" page I have my FB “Lead pixel” and my AdWords “Lead” conversion code.  Is this a problem?  If a visitor get’s to that page via the AdWords landing page is it going to trigger the AdWords conversion AND an Facebook conversion?  What if someone finds their way there via a direct link… will that also trigger conversions?

On a related note... If users don’t fill out the form on either of the landing pages right away and then wander around my website they likely won’t end up back on that exact page since it’s not linked to anywhere on my site.  This means they’ll likely go to the normal contact page to contact me.  I still want to track that as a conversion; but, should I have two different conversion codes?  One for the "ad landing page" form and one for the "contact page" form?  Or am I overthinking this and I should just have it all be the same code since  it’s the conversion that matters and not where the conversion happened?

Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GoldtopLP
February 2017

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

FB and AdWords will only count conversions from people that their ads sent. Having both codes in the same thank you page is a normal way of doing things. 

If you have Analytics you can look at the paths people take to conversion. But for FB / AdWords optimising, just the fact that they converted is all that matters.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author GoldtopLP
February 2017

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

FB and AdWords will only count conversions from people that their ads sent. Having both codes in the same thank you page is a normal way of doing things. 

If you have Analytics you can look at the paths people take to conversion. But for FB / AdWords optimising, just the fact that they converted is all that matters.