AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Confused in including different Targeting options.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi community.

I'm not new to AdWords but have few doubts regarding my campaign's optimization.

I have been running Display Network Only campaign and not satisfied with the results. I have targeted Topics, Interests and Display keywords and Demographics.

Now, I'm confused in choosing right targeting methods for my campaign, whether to have more than 2 methods or many? Also, I'm very confused in selecting "Target and Bid" and "Bid Only" options. I have used Target and bid options for all the methods specified and not satisfied with the results.

So, I want to check on this and have a feedback as I'm not able to understand it through videos provided in the AdWords Help forum.

Thanks,

Sai Muralidhar.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sai Muralidhar M
April 2016

Re: Confused in including different Targeting options.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I wrote an article on the topic;

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sai Muralidhar M
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I wrote an article on the topic;

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Now, I have understood on choosing how many targeting options, but lost with the second part. i.e. "Target and Bid" and "Bid Only".

Have you written any topic on this as well? Or, please share your favourite discussions regarding anyone's topic.

Thanks,
Sai Muralidhar

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sai Muralidhar M

Here is the support page on the subject: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

I think the Venn diagram on this page illustrates "target and bid" best.  The more targeting options you have set to "target and bid," the more restrictive you are making your audience because all of the conditions must match.  If you're into logic, "target and bid" works like an AND statement, and "bid only" works like an OR statement with respect to multiple targeting options.

Hope that makes sense.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

That's surprisingly the best answer on target and bid.

Appreciated..!!

Can you please elaborate on stopping the occurrence of the fishy or irrelevant placements, at initial stages, that can occur with my ad, when targeting keywords and placements ?

Thanks,
Sai Muralidhar

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Sai Muralidhar M

I'm assuming by "irrelevant" you're talking about seeing sites on the placement reports that are not related to the keywords, topic, or interests you have selected.  The most likely reason for this is the interest list part of your targeting.  Interest lists are based on behavior, not necessarily the site the visitor is on.  For an example, let's say you selected fishing as an interest, but are seeing placements on sites about gardening. This just means that user has shown they like to visit sites about fishing, but that doesn't mean that's all the kinds of sites they visit.  Just because the site in the placement doesn't match the category you selected doesn't mean that person is not interested in said category.

Yes, there can be some fishy stuff from time to time in placement reports. If you don't like a site in a placement report for whatever reason, just add it as an exclusion. If you really care about the placements being related to the category you are selecting, I think I'd try and stick with Topics first. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the clear explanation David.

It really helped. Thanks.

Sai Muralidhar.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Sai Muralidhar M;

I personally consider the system's  algorithms by which interests are linked / attributed  to a user, as too broad.

If you look at the list of  interests attributed to your Google account (in your Google's account settings), you'll be surprised by  the number "subjects" you were found (by a machine) to have an interest in. Smiley Surprised 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@ Moshle,

Can you please explain the above in a simple way. I'm unable to get your point.

Thanks,
Sai Muralidhar.