AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Confused about rule-based remarketing

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there!

I want to understand adwords more so than know how to actually use it. Smiley Happy

There are questionx before me, the answers to which I just cant find anywhere.

Here is my situation. We operate numerous 1-page, order-only websites, that are completely independent of each other. Each website has its remarketing campaign (display network). Now, for new adwords account, we are only given ONE remarketing tag correct? This is to be used for all websites?

To continue, when we create a remarketing list, we type in rules. In the numerous guides so far, and to site the example by google """you can use this rule: "URL contains stilettos.""", for pages containing stilettos.

And now my questions:

1. I take it I do not have to make changes to the remarketing tag, but paste it AS IS before the closing body?

2. How does adwords associate a remarketing list, to 1 (one) specific website, if we use one, common tag for all websites?

Example, How can "Remarketing List # 1" only collect audiences from Website 1, AND not website 2? Or Remarketing list # 2, collect audiences from website 2, and not website 1? Especially when we use rules that are not in the form of URLs, as in "contains stilettos", or "equals confirmation".

Thank you for the enlightenment. Smiley Happy

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Edward F
January 2016

Re: Confused about rule-based remarketing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Edward F,

To your questions - 

1. You do not need to make any change(s) to remarketing code if it's not Dynamic Remarketing where you need to insert customer parameters. 
  2. When you add the same remarketing code to multiple websites, a consolidated audience list is created by default. Now, in the next step when you create rule based list, the system only filters those (rule-based) audience from the main consolidated list and creates a new list for you. 

In your scenario, the most effective way to create separate lists for every website would be to use 'URL Contains" rule only. You can enter URLs like - website1.com, website2.com etc. It will serve your purpose precisely. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Edward F
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Edward F,

To your questions - 

1. You do not need to make any change(s) to remarketing code if it's not Dynamic Remarketing where you need to insert customer parameters. 
  2. When you add the same remarketing code to multiple websites, a consolidated audience list is created by default. Now, in the next step when you create rule based list, the system only filters those (rule-based) audience from the main consolidated list and creates a new list for you. 

In your scenario, the most effective way to create separate lists for every website would be to use 'URL Contains" rule only. You can enter URLs like - website1.com, website2.com etc. It will serve your purpose precisely. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Edward F

As all your pages (individual order only websites) are linked to a single ad words account, they will have a single re -marketing code. Only if you are have different AdWords account will you get different re-marketing codes.

Answers to your questions:-

1) Yes, you only have to paste the code AS IT IS before the closing of the body tag within your page source code
2) As you are creating a rule based remarketing list, wherein you clearly specify which page visitors you want to track, the list will only contain those specific visitors. For example, if you have 2 pages with the same remarketing tag, while creating list if you specify, "url contains - page 1" then users visiting page 1 will only be added to that list.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
PN

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Edwards,

1) Yes it need to be placed before the body closing tag to every webpage which you want to remarket.

2) There is only 1 remarketing/conversion snippet for each adwords account, no matter how many different domains you are using with in that particular adwords account. Every domain will be tracked by the same code.

The thing vary is the remarketing list which you can create as per your goal, even you can create custom lists.

To create remarketing list for corresponding websites/domain, you can create list for website visitors with a rule visitor of a page with url contains "your website domain". example: url contains "example.com".

Similarly you can create different lists for different websites/domains.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Edward,
I think previous answers should fix your initial questions. However looking at your thread I feel like dynamic remarketing would be a good option for you. If you are talking about a retail site with massive number of product pages you can use dynamic remarketing feature to effectivly remarket your products among users. This will also help you to reduce the manual segmentations in remarketing audience and to make better decision on remarketing campaigns.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello there,

Thank you so much for the response. My apologies for the delay in my thanks. Smiley Happy I really appreciate the responses that I received. Very helpful indeed. Your answers answered my question. Thank you very much.

Edward.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You can also generate audiences based on multiple conditions - so you can create a list, for example where the url contains siteA AND url contains stilettos....