AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Confused about 'Double Serving'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've been running my small businesses Adwords account now for just over 1 Year. Basically, my business offers a service (NOT goods or physical items for sale) in various areas throughout the UK. Until now, we have 45 Campaigns under one Account, all using the same keywords etc BUT all target different locations in the UK, for example Campaign #1 Has a target area of 'Birmingham' whereas Campaign #2 Has the same keywords and ad groups etc BUT has a target area of 'Glasgow' and a different URL etc etc etc. So... While I'm aware it is very unhealthy to use the same keywords in different AdGroups in the same campaign etc, in this instance, that rule is an exeption as I target different locations per campaign therefore, they should never compete as only the ad in the targeted location should be eligble for serving? (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways... I've now been told that the way my account is structured with duplicate keywords and ad groups allbeit in different campaigns will be having a massive effect on my cost and also serving incorrectly in a lot of instances and I've been advised to create lots of 'single' accounts via my MCC so I have 1 Account per 'Area'. So, I would have an account for 'Birmingham' and an account for 'Glasgow' etc etc.

So... I start doing this then I find out (Via these help forums) about 'Double Serving'. 

I feel I would not be guilty of double serving as my accounts would target different locations, have different URL's so therefore should not get multiple displays per search as if someone in Glasgow searches, it should only display my Glasgow Account as that would be the only account targeting Glasgow, even though I have another 40+ Same Accounts targeting London, Cardiff etc etc etc. Am I right to think this way? Or would I be guilty of double serving?

I would appreciate any help as I've now met the criteria and moved over to Invoicing so I just want to make sure my advertising is as good as I can get it without breaking any policies Smiley Happy

Many Thanks in advance for any replies...

Ade Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Confused about 'Double Serving'

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ade,

I think you've been give bad advice. The rule is: one web site and one owner you must use a single account or get an exception from Google.

Having multiple campaigns with different geo-targeting and the same keywords does not increase your cost, even if the targeting is off. When two campaigns are eligible for an impression, Google will pick the one with the higher ad rank to enter the general auction. You will pay only enough to beat the previous competitor. Your cost has nothing to do with the bid on similar keywords in your account, only on your competition.

Do you include "search intent" in the geo-targeting? That could lead to a situation where ads from more than one account are eligible. If you have separate accounts, an ad from each account could be eligible, and that would be a violation of the double-serving policy.

The problem for Google, when search intent is included, is to determine which is more relevant to the user: the physical location or the location indicated by geo-modifiers. I think they will choose intent over location, but perhaps not in all cases. It depends on the type of service, I would imagine, as to whether you should include search intent.

Keep all your campaigns in the same account and you will not be in violation of the double-serving policy, and it will not drive up your CPC costs.

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ade,

I think you've been give bad advice. The rule is: one web site and one owner you must use a single account or get an exception from Google.

Having multiple campaigns with different geo-targeting and the same keywords does not increase your cost, even if the targeting is off. When two campaigns are eligible for an impression, Google will pick the one with the higher ad rank to enter the general auction. You will pay only enough to beat the previous competitor. Your cost has nothing to do with the bid on similar keywords in your account, only on your competition.

Do you include "search intent" in the geo-targeting? That could lead to a situation where ads from more than one account are eligible. If you have separate accounts, an ad from each account could be eligible, and that would be a violation of the double-serving policy.

The problem for Google, when search intent is included, is to determine which is more relevant to the user: the physical location or the location indicated by geo-modifiers. I think they will choose intent over location, but perhaps not in all cases. It depends on the type of service, I would imagine, as to whether you should include search intent.

Keep all your campaigns in the same account and you will not be in violation of the double-serving policy, and it will not drive up your CPC costs.

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Pete,

Many Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

I don't & wouldn't want any other account to display for a search in an area, for example: If you searched for shoe laces in Glasgow, I would want my shoe lace store in Glasgow to display, not my store in Glasgow, London and Cardiff if you get me? Therefore, as long as Google is doing it's job properly, by me targeting different locations in each account should not result in multiple displays, therefore Double Serving would not be applicable? I base that on the fact that if it did serve an add aimed at Cardiff as well as a Glasgow Ad for a searcher in Glasgow, then that's Google being naughty not me as the advertiser and I wouldn't be impressed if I were displayed in this instance anyway?!

I completely understand that one company getting top 3 spaces with different Ads etc is very wrong, but that shouldn't happen if Location Targeting is working effectively within Google for my kind of Advertising model?

One of the other reasons I ask, is that I used to have 1x Campaign with a set of keywords and ad groups. I used to pay approx 40 - 80p per click with an exellent ROI and now I'm up to 45 Campaigns with very well structured ad groups and all settings are set correctly as per the campaign requirements, my average CPC on all campaigns has increased to nearly £2 and the 'quality' of phone calls we get are decreasing as the larger we get. It seems the more campaigns I add to the account, the more my average CPC is going up and the worse my business is getting.

The explaination given to me was that my campaigns were competing against each other and increasing my CPC so it kinda made sence if you get me as if I enable an identical campaign in a different account for 1 day while pausing the original, that CPC is much much less and generates more calls! The impressions are greater, so are the clicks, so are the phone calls so it does factually work better but the campaign is identical so it should make no difference, it's just the account that is different?!

Anyways... Totally not sure what to do now! Maybe I should call Google and ask directly?

Thanks,

Ade

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry forgot to add that we can't restrict it to users IN the location as many people will search for someone in a certain location (i.e a Landlord might search for Manchester when in fact he is in Plymouth) and anyone on 3G / Mobile Networks, we won't appear or the wrong Ad appears. Case point: I was in Bristol at a meeting last week. I searched on 4G (EE) - <Exact Mach Keyword>. I was displayed an Ad targeting Birmingham, NOT Bristol which I was expecting to see. On investigation, my mobile IP was saying I was in Birmingham City Centre...! I challenged Google about this and they said they can only provide data based on the location supplied by the network so while I sympathise with them in that respect, as an advertiser spending money, that's just not good enough?!

Ade Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi there;

As @petebardo   mentioned the rule is simple: One business entity - one account; no matter what targeting methods are used.

(There are some exceptions for multi-nationals selling different brands, using subsidiaries / SBU - but this this  not your case, of SMB which is owned by you selling the same service, in different locations).

So to conclude: a business entity targeting different Geo locations; different URLs - offering the same or similar services, using different accounts  - would be a violation of the double serving.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Confused about &#39;Double Serving&#39;

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If i have three websites, what do i  do? One Adwords manager account and set up adds for all three businesses? Each business is a different niche. 

Confused about &#39;Double Serving&#39;

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’