1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor Name Violation?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there I have a local competitor who's GMB panel appears against some of my main keywords although we do a lot more online than them , have more reviews, higher rating etc and having spoken to Google the reason is that they have inserted the main keyword into their GMB business name - So "Acefast Ipswich iPhone Repair Experts" and that is how they are showing up in that position. It's a large panel and killing my adwords CTR's. Google told me to 'suggest an edit' which I did but it's now disappeared from being 'reviewed' and is exactly the same. Is this allowed and is there anything I can do about it? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
February 2017

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chris E

I went ahead and suggested an edit for you as well. It's definitely violating the business name rules with keyword stuffing.  Usually Google is pretty smart about detecting that, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

I've spent a few minutes trying to find another way to report this violation, and it looks like my edit has already been accepted.  If you look in maps.google.com, it appears as "Acefast Computers" which is what I changed it to. I removed everything after the dash.  You'll still probably see the panel in your search for a few more days because it can take time for all the data centers to sync up.  Just keep an eye on it for the next few days.

***edit

here is a screenshot from an email I got confirming the change has been accepted.acefast.jpg

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
February 2017

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chris E

I went ahead and suggested an edit for you as well. It's definitely violating the business name rules with keyword stuffing.  Usually Google is pretty smart about detecting that, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

I've spent a few minutes trying to find another way to report this violation, and it looks like my edit has already been accepted.  If you look in maps.google.com, it appears as "Acefast Computers" which is what I changed it to. I removed everything after the dash.  You'll still probably see the panel in your search for a few more days because it can take time for all the data centers to sync up.  Just keep an eye on it for the next few days.

***edit

here is a screenshot from an email I got confirming the change has been accepted.acefast.jpg

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David - thanks for this! The panel has disappeared now too but they've changed their name again - slightly different configuration of the text but same idea. I've edited again and will monitor closely.

Without resorting to the same tactics any idea how I get my panel there now!

Thanks for your help

Chris

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chris E

The reality is that you shouldn't be able to.  At least not for non-brand related queries.  Those knowledge graphs are meant to trigger when the intent of the query is very clear cut, and there should not be multiple results.   It makes for a good user experience when someone searches "iphone repair ipswich" that they see multiple options in the maps.

However, if they query "sainsburys felixstowe road"  it's quite obvious what the intent of this search is. Therefore, showing the knowledge graph for this specific Sainsbury's makes for the best user experience.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

HI David - thanks for the response but you've lost me a little! The Knowledge Graphs bit really? Is this the 'three pack' of map entries?

we're doing ok in there it's just that Acefast originally had their GMB panel showing top right in the SERPS so really prominent

Acefast have already changed their name to Acefast Computers Ipswich iPhone Repair....so I've edited it again!

Thanks, Chris

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chris E

Sorry. The "GMB panel showing top right" is officially called a knowledge graph. Your competitor had that because they were keyword stuffing their business name.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Aha! Thanks so because they used 'iPhone Repair Ipswich' in their name  - a bit like the 'Sainsbury's Felixstowe Road' example you gave Google assumed it was clear cut and should show what the user was obviously looking for. Fantastic. Thanks for you help David!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

These guys are a menace. Stole a whole paragraph from my homepage and slapped it on theirs a few years back. :-(

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David. So now I'm confused - the knowledge graph for this company has appeared again! This time the name is still Acefast Computers but they show for "iPhone Repair Ipswich". I'm baffled as to how they are achieving this?!! Cheers for any ideas!

Chris