AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Competing keywords using broad match modified

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am using broad match modified for my campaign. I cannot understand how keywords compete.

For example if I have:

+malta + shoe +shop

+shoe +shop +valletta

And lets say search query is 'shoe shop in valletta malta' which triggers both keywords.  

If the above keywords were in same adgroup would they compete?

And what about if they were in different adgroups?

Or in different campaigns for same account?

Should I structure campaign like this:

Adgroup 1 for (and add 'valletta as negative keyword at adgroup level):

+malta + shoe +shop

Adgroup 2 for (no negative keywords):

+shoe +shop +valletta

+shoe +shop +valletta +malta

Or can I just use one adgroup for both terms?

Am I complicating things? Smiley Happy Would appreciate some help, this is super confusing. Thanks! Smiley Happy

5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monique Z
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Monique Z

Yup, those two KWs may compete for that search query you list as an example 'shoe shop in valletta malta'

Your BMM keywords will compete for the same query, be they in the same ad group or in the separate ad groups. Unless you stick them in different ad groups and you add negatives to one of the ad groups. What you have come up with is indeed a solution here.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 2
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi @Monique Z

Separating negative keywords into different ad groups and adding negative keywords as you proposed will help you with managing the campaign. It gives you more room to adjust the campaign once you get some insight on search terms and performance.

If you have all these keywords in one ad group, Google will choose which keyword to trigger based on the keywords' quality score and searcher intent. 

Hope that helpsSmiley Happy

Regards,
Eva
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monique Z
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Monique Z

Yup, those two KWs may compete for that search query you list as an example 'shoe shop in valletta malta'

Your BMM keywords will compete for the same query, be they in the same ad group or in the separate ad groups. Unless you stick them in different ad groups and you add negatives to one of the ad groups. What you have come up with is indeed a solution here.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Competing keywords using broad match modified

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Similar keywords in different adgroups or different campaigns may compete. The common practice is to use negative keywords within ad groups (e.g.  group keywords by match type add the "other" match types as negative), bid higher on the restrictive match type: the highest on exact , lower on phrase, and the lowest on broad (assuming   QS is   about  the same and a  higher bid will result in overall a higher ad-rank), and avoid similar  keywords in different ad groups or campaigns - as much as this is possible.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I agree with above statement. But your keyword consists of three Words, that triggers long tail search terms. Thus I would not suggest you to go that level MICRO management. Its good practice to manage that level but it requires a lot of effort and bandwidth.

AdWords system is also smart enough to send the related keywords first in auction model. Thus the chances of cannibalization is very low in such long tail keywords.

Thus I recommend to you don't put the manual effort, believe in Machine Learning, that AdWords use, for such Micro Level management.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rakesh thanks for the input.  I felt I had to use both +malta and +valletta keywords, in order to target. What would you suggest I do? Which keyword would you leave out? Or would you use still long tail keywords but avoid extra work of adding negatives, and let google do the work? 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I agree with all the above suggestions, I came across such situation many times and I would prefer creating two separate adgroups along with across adgroup negative keyword. I always prefer to have proper negative keyword strategy before I start with the campaign. 

In your example two things can be done in my own opinion:

first-

Adgroup1 for +malta + shoe +shop

negative (-vallentta)

Adgroup2 for +shoe +shop +valletta

+shoe +shop +valletta +malta

Keep bids competitive in this case for keyword so correct keyword matches the term.

Second-

Adgroup1 for +malta + shoe +shop

negative (-vallentta)

Adgroup2 for +shoe +shop +valletta

negative (-malta)

Adgroup3 for +shoe +shop +valletta +malta

You can go with first approach and check the performance and can move to second approach later. Also depends if you are working on 500s 1000s of keywords approach first is good to go but if you are working on keywords which are manageable manually I think second approach is fine.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Competing keywords using broad match modified

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Monique Z,

Spoiler
Hi Rakesh thanks for the input.  I felt I had to use both +malta and +valletta keywords, in order to target. What would you suggest I do? Which keyword would you leave out? Or would you use still long tail keywords but avoid extra work of adding negatives, and let google do the work?

I think you have already got good reply. Now, you have to decide which method that you want to approach based on your bandwidth.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you all so much! Really appreciate it! Smiley Happy