Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Companion Banner for In-stream Ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell where I can add a Companion banner to my instream ad after I already setup my video campaign?

Thx!

Steven

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Companion Banner for In-stream Ads

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi BuildingC. 

Companion banners are an advanced ad attribute that you will be able to add to your existing in-stream ads. Here's how: 

• Select the video campaign you want to edit.
  • Click the Ads tab.
  • Hover over the ad you want to edit and click on the pencil.
  • Click Advanced ad attributes (optional) to further customize your ad images (including companion banners where applicable), and your video landing page.
  • Click Choose File and upload a file that adheres to our technical specifications.
  • Ad Preview: Preview your ad in the formats you've selected.
  • Click Save.

Let us know if you have any further questions about this. 

Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hannah, do you know where I can check views and click for this companion banner? I can't find it anywhere in AdWords.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Katarzyna K, 

This is a great follow up question. 

The companion banner and the in-stream video ad are served as one unit therefore we don't currently have functionality to separate clicks on the banner vs. clicks on the video ad. 

Let us know if you have any other questions about this. 
Hannah

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hannah,
thanks a lot! Now I'm sure that I can't separete it in AdWords and that's impossible to find statistics only for companion banner. But I have other questions, things are not clear for me.
1) When I'm uploading companion banner I have no opportunity to choose an url for this banner. The url is the same as the url for my Ad?
2) If it's the same, why the number of views in Google Analytics is totally different than number of clicks to my website which I see in Adwords? In my case views in Analytics are two or three time less than in AdWords. Thats because of this companion banner? I'm sure that url which was added to my Ad was tagged properly.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Katarzyna K, 

Apologies for the delay in getting a reply to your reporting issue. I have asked our support team to take a look into this for you and get you an answer asap. 

Let us know if you have any other questions in the meantime. 

Hannah

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, I just came through this and wanted to add the following;
1 - clicks on the Companion banner will be reported under "Website Clicks" under Campaigns/Ads/Targets tab in the AdWords for Video interface.
2 - A click on a companion banner can direct to the Vieo's YouTube channel

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new question, kindly start a new thread. If this has helped you, please feel free to star a post. Smiley Wink