Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Combining Broad Match Modifier and Phrase Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying to create a keyword pattern that will match the following searches ...

london to paris by bus

bus from london to paris

... but not the following searches (opposite travel direction) ...

paris to london by bus

bus from paris to london

I imagine using a keyword like the following, but I don't thinks this is allowed:

"london to paris" +bus

Can anyone please explain the correct approach?

Thanks,

Tim

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Combining Broad Match Modifier and Phrase Match

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Tim,

This type of combination will not give you significant results.
As per your trial, you want to show ads when a user will search london to paris by bus, london to paris via bus route, bus from london to paris or any such combination where london to paris must be present as a phrase and bus must be present with any combination.

But I suggest you to try different combinations (mentioned above), in phrase or exact match.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Tim C;

You cannot use different match types within the same keywords,

The best approach would be to use exact match type with all caobntions possible of this query.

The search terms report can be a useful tool.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that I need to create a phrase match keyword for every possible different way that somebody might describe a bus trip from London to Paris?

Isn't the matching technology supposed to make this challenge easier, by allowing us to focus on the important words and ignore the irrelevant words?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for clarifying what's possible @MosheTLV. I guess I'll just have to do it the hard way, which is a pity, since I have to repeat it for almost 1000 routes.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Tim,

In addition to what already being suggested, You can try adding negative keyword "paris to london" in phrase? Does this solve issue?

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@NEHA Gupta: oh that's a great suggestion - thanks. Smiley Happy

So, I should create a BMM with +london +paris + bus and a negative keyword "paris to london", is that correct?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Yes, you can do that. Adding positive keyword +london +paris +bus and negative "paris to london". You would need to keep an eye on search query report to block queries which are non relevant.

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Negatives don't use variations like keywords do, so you can add into your negatives all the terms you know you don't want to show for and like the others have said, watch the search queries report. Negatives work a little differently to normal keywords so dont assume the ads are not showing .. best to monitor and optimise Smiley Happy

Combining Broad Match Modifier and Phrase Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim C 

There is another way to do so. Let Suppose your keyword is :

london to paris by bus you can write this in BMM = +london.to.paris +by +bus 

In this is work like phrase and also work like BMM But sequence of London To Paris Will Never Change

You Can Called This PMM