6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Combination ad development

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a product with 20 color combinations. How do I develop ads and matching keyword selections 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bgill
September 2015

Re: Combination ad development

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bgill and welcome to the forum.

The first key question is whether you think your potential customers will be searching on a colour basis and how often.

If you do need to target by colour (and again, I wouldn't do this at first unless I had cold hard evidence to prove it's the way to go), I'd probably start by running an Ad Group without any colour keywords, using DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion) on at least one of several Ad Variations.  Over a test period, you can then use the data this gathers to suggest a good list of keywords that work well for selling your product "generally".

Once I had these, I'd probably make Ad Groups using these "good" keywords and the colour variation (still using DKI, but with colour specific Ads as well).  How many Ad Groups you make depends upon whether you need to use different URLs for different colours.  If you do, you'll need a Group for each colour, if not, you may well be able to get away with just one biggish "colour" group, although you'll only then be able to use DKI, not bespoke Ads, so multiple groups may still produce more relevant results.

Remember your keywords will need to be modified broad, phrase or exact to avoid "crossover".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks.....I've been runnging the campaign for a couple years and just wanted to zero in to the exacting customers needs. I like the keyword insertion and can use one URL for the entire color group,so how do I group {keyword} it with all the different color selections.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

how about:

1 campaign per product

1 ad group per color 

headline: Buy {KeyWord:Color Product

display URL /{KeyWord:Color Product} 

hope this helps...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Bgill, I'm not sure I understand your question.  Like I said, the first step is really to make absolutely sure you can't serve your customers' needs without using a colour specific keyword/group/campaign.  In my experience (as a shopper) although in many cases I know I need a certain coloured item, in the majority of cases I'm open to persuasion; I may not even realise different colour variations exist.  Of course, how relevant or likely this is depends upon the product being offered.  If you can give us some hints - or better yet a website URL - we may have some more informed opinions.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi there, 

If you're using Analytics you might be able to see which pages on your website your customers are interacting with the most and could then make a decision on your colour targeting on the basis of that? 

Just an idea! Does the community have any other thoughts on this one? 

A.