AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Checking if I'm being targeted by my competitors.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What's a free method of quickly verifying if my company name is being targeted in my competitors AdWords campaigns?

If certain keywords related to my company aren't being targeted, I want to turn those off and let the organic search receive the clicks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Checking if I'm being targeted by my competitors.

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Dain,

Go to the specific keywords in your ad group that you consider "keywords related to my company". In the keyword list you should have a "Status" column. There is a Bubble that when you mouse over will tell you about your quality scores as well as the "Ad Preview and Diagnosis". Click on the Ad Preview and Diagnosis to see a LIVE google search for those keywords and note how your competition is.

( Using the Ad Preview tool, doesn't count an impression against your ads, and you can change the target area's if need be right inside the tool window).

Or you can go directly to the tool
To use the Ad Preview tool, follow these steps:

Go to http://www.google.com/adpreview.
After choosing the appropriate domain, language, and location, enter one of your search phrases and click Preview.
At the bottom of the screen, you’ll be able to see exactly which ads are being triggered by the search phrase that you entered.

Hope that helps
Eric G

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Dain,

Go to the specific keywords in your ad group that you consider "keywords related to my company". In the keyword list you should have a "Status" column. There is a Bubble that when you mouse over will tell you about your quality scores as well as the "Ad Preview and Diagnosis". Click on the Ad Preview and Diagnosis to see a LIVE google search for those keywords and note how your competition is.

( Using the Ad Preview tool, doesn't count an impression against your ads, and you can change the target area's if need be right inside the tool window).

Or you can go directly to the tool
To use the Ad Preview tool, follow these steps:

Go to http://www.google.com/adpreview.
After choosing the appropriate domain, language, and location, enter one of your search phrases and click Preview.
At the bottom of the screen, you’ll be able to see exactly which ads are being triggered by the search phrase that you entered.

Hope that helps
Eric G

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very helpful. Thanks Eric.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Dain;

Having your ads shown for relevant keywords, especially your brand name, - in my view - is a must, whether your competitor  target them or not. (And if not - you have the advantage of showing your message alone! - This is a big advantage.)
Thus, I would not turn them off,

The best way to check how you are doing relative to your competitor, per keyword, is to use  the auction insight  report.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe for your input! I appreciate that.

*Dain M*

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
HI Dain M,

Thank you for posting on our forum. I have removed your personal details from the above post for your safety.

Kathleen