AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Cheap Clicks for Ultra-Low Competition Keywords - Is It Possible?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When I type in an address for a home in my city, there are zero Adwords advertisers showing up in search.

Does this mean that I could bid a penny per click for local addresses and still get top positioning?  (Assuming that my landing page was hyper-optimized and the ads were laser-targeted to the search term of course.)

Or is it a case that Adwords doesn't allow for penny clicks regardless of how well optimized your campaign and landing page is?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cheap Clicks for Ultra-Low Competition Keywords - Is It Possible?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Brian, sorry, your second case is closer to the truth.  Google focuses on providing quality advertising so there are other factors that come into play other than just competition.  Having said that, if there is limited competition, and your site, Account, etc. was all perfect you shouldn't get into any kind of "bidding war".

However, I should also add that when you find no other advertisers for a given Keyword, it can often mean that other advertisers have tried in the past with those terms and found them unprofitable.  In the world of Google search there are practically no products or services that someone hasn't tried to advertise at some point in the past.  It can therefore be that you'll find these terms quite expensive - because Google considers them poor performers.

In short, it all depends...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

The days of minimum bid, to get an ad to appear, are  gone, long time ago.... Smiley Surprised

During the almost 10 years Adwords has been existing (in its current auction bidding ), I doubt if there  was a single keyword that  has been left out of the auction system...

Thus, there is a minimum   threshold for ad-rank to get your ad shown. (Meaning you need to meet a certain level of  a QS and a bid)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

There was an interesting case in the forum with print sceens of avg. cpc of 5 cents and a QS of 10/10 who wanted to reduce his avg. cpc even more. In the end he used the Auction Insights report to discover that a big company advertised also on his nice keywords , probably in time frames where his was not seeing them in the browser. Here is a feedback from a Google employee in that thread :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Reducing-AVG-CPC-with-QS-10/m-p/150762/highl...

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

I was looking forward to how this question would be addressed. Great feedback from everyone who replied! Brian, it was a nice idea though...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@Brian

I think this low cpc depends a lot on the Location targeting.

In some cities you could be among the very few to offer a product or some services and the resulting avg. can be low too. Also emerging countries who recently use adwords also can

have a low avg. cpc. , for example in my small country the overall avg. cpc in my account is 8 cents ( 0.24 Ron) for a few thousand keywords.

Lucky you, now you can view  the bids by locations in the new Keyword Planner and pick cities with low cpc and low competition.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Moshe 

Wait a minute...you're saying that someone at some time has placed bids on every single home address in the entire United States? Why would someone bid on the address of your neighbor's home?

I guess one might say in reply, "But YOU'RE planning on bidding on your neighbor's address Brian." To which I would say, "Yes, I'm considering it, but only because I'm going to create a full blog post and video individually for every address that I bid on."

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@ Brain;
Well... I understood that you are Geo-targeting your home location with keywords relevant for your business - Not promoting your street address on AdWords. Did I get you wrong?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@Brian 

"When I type in an address for a home in my city, there are zero Adwords advertisers showing up in search."

Do you mean your search term is a postal code address and that's it with no other words ? I can't imagine who would bid on a postal code number. 

If I am wrong, please write what exactly was your search term.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Adrian - I'm looking to show up for a search like "48483 s quail run drive"

@ Moshe - here is what's going on. I'm a Realtor and my market area is in Plymouth, MI. The "money" terms would be "Plymouth Homes", "Plymouth Homes for Sale", "Homes for Sale in Plymouth", and "Plymouth Real Estate". Also variations which include the state identifier "MI" in it.

Unfortunately, Trulia/Zillow/Realtor.com dominate every search like this in organic and I'm not looking to pay for clicks to beat them right now unless they are under 25-cents. Not likely for prime real estate terms.  I'm just getting back into the business and am on a shoestring budget. I'm confident from my past SEO efforts that I can rank my own website in the #1 spot for those money terms, but it will probably take a full year. The question is how I get business in the meantime.

I've created some Youtube videos for my website and noticed something interesting. When looking at all my uploads, my video tour of one home had significantly more views than the rest. I discovered that if you google search "821 Beech Court" you'll find my video sitting close to the top. It wasn't optimized properly in any way. If you look at when it was uploaded, you see that the video was getting about 1 view per day when the home was first listed. It's slowed down recently. The point is that people ARE typing in the street address into google when looking for homes and they ARE going to my video when they see it prominantly displayed.

I've since tried to replicate the effect with two other homes which are better optimized for their respective keywords but without the same level of success.  If you search for "48483 s quail run drive" you have to go to Page 3 of the results to find the video.

I think that the reason the Beech Ct video is doing so well is because there was low enough organic competition that it landed in the Top 5 spots in Google with the video thumbnail showing. Then, people who are searching for info about new listings on google (why else would they be typing in a random address?) clicked through to YouTube and watched it long enough that Google slowly boosted it to prime positioning because of user engagement.

The idea then, is to create a MUCH better video where I talk about each and every home that goes up for sale. I'll take a broker preview tour of all of them, take video and punch it in as I do a talking-head style summary of what I like and don't like about the home, then start to go over a market analysis for that PARTICULAR home and given them a call to action to go to my site to get a copy of the Market Analysis PDF so they can follow along.

Before anyone discounts the idea outright, consider the fact that the average commission on a home in my area represents between $6,000 and $9,000 worth of revenue to me. Selling just two homes per month means I will no longer be on a shoe-string budget and can expand my reach through other mediums.

Let's run some quick and dirty numbers. There is a floating inventory of about 150 homes available for sale in my town. About 3 new home show up on the market each day. If I can make a video for each new home listed, then I'll also have a running inventory of 150 video posts about homes that can actually be bought in addition to all the older videos about homes that have already sold but might generate calls anyway.

If I could get my videos into top organic positioning for each and every street address of the 150 available homes (e.g. "48483 S Quail Run Drive"), then as people search for them and click through to my videos they will constantly see my face and in a very short time associate me as "THE" market expert for real estate in my town.

150 active homes x 1 view p/day for each of these homes represents 4,500 video views per month. If I can't pull two sales out of 4,500 views in a medium like video you can build familiarity and trust (vs dropping pictures of homes in a newsprint homes magazine at the grocery store) then I'm obviously doing something wrong.

The reason I'm fumbling around with Adwords is because I'd like to have an ad show up in the Top Position (above the dispayed google map) with a headline like "123 Main St Video Tour" on Day #1 when the home is listed and the interest is at its peak. The video may be sitting on Page #3 in organic search where it will never get any views, but if they click though a Top-Position Adwords link and watch the video, then maybe between user engagement from Adwords clicks, Craigslist traffic, social traffic, pointing some backlinks at the video itself, and the overall strength of the channel increasing over time as more and more videos are added - I might just be able to get each new video to QUICKLY get into the top 3 spots in organic search where it will get the exposure it needs.

Obviously, once I get them to the site I can try to entice for an email sign-up, facebook likes/share, tag them for Remarketing or whatever.

That's the reason why I would bid on a term like "48483 S Quail Run Drive" and if there's no competition for that keyword and my quality score is a 10, I'd like to be able to take the Top Position for 1 penny per click since there is nobody else bidding on the term.

Now you know whole plan.