AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Charged even though I have a promotional credit balance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I applied a promotional code to my adwords account in February for -£75 after spending about £26 making my overall balance -£49.26.

I was just now debited £22.58 (random amount), making my balance go from -£49.26 to -£71.84!

Why was I charged for extra promotional credit (and why 22.58) when it should have just remained as -£49.26?

ss (2017-03-15 at 06.43.30).png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Charged even though I have a promotional credit balance

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @PD S,

AdWords will run the payment method at the end of the billing cycle... or sooner if the systems detects the payment method used with other accounts that are triggered for possible fraud. Or if the source of the payment method (bank, etc.) has a high rate of charges being disputed and so AdWords is testing the payment source. 

So even when you have a credit, it does not mean your account sits there until you use it up and then pings the payment source for another payment. You can expect to see a charge go through every 30 days, no matter what. My guess is that you created the AdWords account around the 14th of a month and therefore your billing cycle lands around that day every month. The date of the promotional code means nothing with regards to the billing cycle. 

With that said, you still get the promotional credit to use. You did not lose the credit.  

All the Best,

James