AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Changing match changes status

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, so I'm changing the "match" of my keywords from broad to exact match or phrase match.  As I do so, status changes from Eligible to "Rarely shown due to low quality score".  This kind of freaks me out.  Did I just change to a "match" that will cause the ad not to show up?  Do I need to make the change and check back later to see how things are going?  Or what?

As a bit of feedback, I'm finding that a good bit of "Adwords operations" are not intuitive.  This is one example and I'll post others as I experience them.  Not complaining (too much) just FYI.

Re: Changing match changes status

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Ohiorick,

Changing the matches of keywords can change the quality score of keywords, if keywords has QS of 1-3 then there are very less chances to trigger your ads for those keywords. In general it's tough to get good quality score for same broad match keyword in exact match. It will take some time to improve the QS of keywords, mostly depend on the CTR of keyword.

It would be better if you use all three matches and then after few days check which are performing well. Don't puase all those keywords which have good quality score and make sure your ad group don't have more low QS keywords, keep them as less as possible.

Kindly read the What is QS and how it's calculated to get thorough idea of QS.

Dinesh
My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, in other words, I should have key words matched two or three ways sometimes?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

You can have a keyword in multiple match types as they might have a different value so you have different Max CPC's for each type.

For me exact match keywords normally hold the highest value as I know exactly which keyword triggered the ad and the value drops as I go through phrase, modified broad & broad match in that order. (note: this is not always the case, but normally it works for me)

It's worth reading up on the match types so you understand them a bit better.

Keyword Matching Options