AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Changing campaign settings - impact on quality score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody,

I have a rather particular AdWords-related question: Atm I am optimzing a somewhat dated AdWords campaign - let's just say that there's loads of room for improvement.

The product portfolio of the account depends on a backbone of extremely generic keywords (avg. QS 3/10 or 4/10 for new ad groups); but since the campaign in question is really OLD (almost a decade by now), the most important keywords have amassed enough clicks to be considered of high quality (between 8/10 and 10/10). Needless to say, keeping this campaign is more or less mandatory.

The problem is, however, that this campaign is rather crudely set up (Search/Display and only a single state as target region). Is it possible to change the campaign settings to Search only and add more states to the target region without repercussions or will such a decision affect the QS? If yes, I would abstain from making any changes and instead opt for a workaround, but I would prefer not to make things more complicated than they already are.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Changing campaign settings - impact on quality score?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, welcome to the Community.  As far as I'm aware, raw click numbers don't have any effect on Quality Score so if you have 8s and above they're that because of the usual known contributors to QS - CTR primarily - not their longevity or click numbers.

I wouldn't let your concerns over QS stop what sounds like a badly needed rebuild.  If your Keywords, Ads and Landing pages follow the best practices for high QS there's no reason why they shouldn't be 10/10 from the first click so I'd concentrate on rebuilding the Account properly and making sure your Keywords have the best chance of being 10 from the word go.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I don't see a problem with splitting your search and display campaigns. That would be a really good idea. The display campaign has no effect on search QS, whether it's in the same campaign or separate ones.

The volume of impressions and clicks is important to a certain extent, only in that your own account history with certain keywords only takes over after 1000 impressions or so. If you create a new campaign with the same keywords (after pausing or deleting the existing campaign), you will very likely take a hit on the QS of your keywords. They may not go all the way down to 3's and 4's, but they will likely go down. If your CTR holds up, you will start to see the QS improve after about 1000 impressions.

I'm suggesting you split the search and display campaigns up into separate campaigns, the display campaign being the new one.

You might want to create a new search campaign to expand your geo-targets. That will help you figure out if it was a good idea later on.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, welcome to the Community.  As far as I'm aware, raw click numbers don't have any effect on Quality Score so if you have 8s and above they're that because of the usual known contributors to QS - CTR primarily - not their longevity or click numbers.

I wouldn't let your concerns over QS stop what sounds like a badly needed rebuild.  If your Keywords, Ads and Landing pages follow the best practices for high QS there's no reason why they shouldn't be 10/10 from the first click so I'd concentrate on rebuilding the Account properly and making sure your Keywords have the best chance of being 10 from the word go.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I don't see a problem with splitting your search and display campaigns. That would be a really good idea. The display campaign has no effect on search QS, whether it's in the same campaign or separate ones.

The volume of impressions and clicks is important to a certain extent, only in that your own account history with certain keywords only takes over after 1000 impressions or so. If you create a new campaign with the same keywords (after pausing or deleting the existing campaign), you will very likely take a hit on the QS of your keywords. They may not go all the way down to 3's and 4's, but they will likely go down. If your CTR holds up, you will start to see the QS improve after about 1000 impressions.

I'm suggesting you split the search and display campaigns up into separate campaigns, the display campaign being the new one.

You might want to create a new search campaign to expand your geo-targets. That will help you figure out if it was a good idea later on.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords