4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Change title text when ad is shown at top of page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When my ad shows at the top of the page the title text is longer - it includes the domain name.  I notice that some other top of page ads seem to be able to use the full 50 (approx?) characters for their own title.   I can't see where to control that.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tickhill
September 2015

Re: Change title text when ad is shown at top of page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello tickhill,

The following blog post will give you a little more information on the feature -

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/05/showing-display-url-domain-in-headline.html

Unfortunately there is no way to control this as it's automated according to the quality and positioning of your ad. There was a discussion in the last forum of allowing advertisers to select whether this is something they want or not so it might be optional in the future.

Regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author tickhill
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello tickhill,

The following blog post will give you a little more information on the feature -

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2011/05/showing-display-url-domain-in-headline.html

Unfortunately there is no way to control this as it's automated according to the quality and positioning of your ad. There was a discussion in the last forum of allowing advertisers to select whether this is something they want or not so it might be optional in the future.

Regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@ScottyD  Thanks.  Slightly better news: the link you provided suggested adding a full stop to the end of the first description line.  So I did.  The result is that the second description line is appended to the title on top of page ads (and not then repeated in the description part of the ad).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@tickhill;

You are correct . That's explained in the other link

I have never been able to figure out, under what conditions each option is chosen. (URL separated by | or 2nd line added to first.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Hi. One situation I've noticed (but did not test) is that...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi. One situation I've noticed (but did not test) is that when the headline is very short, AND (if I remember correctly) the first description line and the second were one sentence. But can't quite find that ad now.

You may give it a try if you want.

[LATER EDIT]: Nope, maybe it's not that. Use the Ad Preview Tool and search for Bose in the UK, check out John Lewis' ad. It has the site name in the headline, and then the domain part of the display URL is appended.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog

Change title text when ad is shown at top of page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you're right. I think if someone using keyword insertion & if the difficult keyword triggers this URL showing!

What do you think?