5.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Change/edit campaign start date

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created a new campaign today, with the intention of setting the start date a few weeks from now. There was no option while I was creating the campaign to select when it would begin/end, so I assumed I would need to create the campaign first, then set the dates later. The adwords help article I found indicated that this was possible (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404203?hl=en)

However, while I can change the end date, I cannot make changes to the start date. For now I have simply put the campaign on pause - but I would like to be able to set the correct start date now, so I don't have to remember to go back in and un-pause it. Also, I would like to know (for future reference) how to do this correctly. We're a small business, and I need to be able to create the ads when I have time, which is sometimes weeks before the actual campaign should begin.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
How to set a start date
  1. Click the Campaigns tab at the top.
  2. Under "All campaigns," click the name of the campaign to be scheduled.
  3. Click the Settings tab.
  4. In the "Advanced settings" section, click Schedule: Start date, end date, and ad scheduling.
  5. Next to "Start date," click Edit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Steve - thanks, but as I mentioned in my original post, I tried those directions(per google adwords help) before posting. My issue is that there is no "edit" option next to the start date - the only option for editing is the end date.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sounds like AdWords thinks your campaign is active. Try clearing the cache in your browser, or logging in with a different browser. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried both suggestions, and neither worked.

Based on your comment above, about adwords thinking the campaign is still active: If I have the campaign paused, does that make it inactive? If not, is there a different way to de-activate the campaign (without deleting)? My other thought is that I opened the campaign as a new user with a coupon code - would the coupon code automatically "activate" the campaign somehow and not let the start date be changed?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It's possible the start date is a one-time opportunity to set when you create a campaign. I doubt if it's the coupon code.  

Likely someone who knows the answer will frequent this thread and answer your question. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rebecca O
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Rebecca O,

You can only change the start date if your campaign hasn't started yet. TC @PPCBossman suggested using an automated rule at this point to activate your campaign in this thread: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Set-up-campaign-start-and-end-d...

Others have suggested cloning the campaign and set the start date when you create the campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had a same problem. There was no option while I was creating the campaign to select when it would begin/end. Hoe is that possible?

Did you find an answer?

Thanks!

Sanja

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sanja - there was no solution to my issue. I had to just pause the campaign until the day I wanted it to start. The problem is that you cannot change the start date of a campaign if it is already active (which makes sense) and my theory is that by using my coupon for the campaign, it "activated" the campaign as soon as I entered the coupon information, not allowing me to set the start date in the future.

So if your "start date" is in the past and is greyed out in your edit tool (see Steve B's suggestions above) I think your only options are to either delete the campaign and start over, or pause it and go back and resume it on the date you want it to start. Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rebecca, 

You can change the start date of a campaign which already exists only through AWE (AdWords Editor). You can simply copy the campaigns in the editor, change the start date and then delete the old campaigns. This way, you will simply copy past and create new campaigns and can remove the old campaigns. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Shivashish