1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Capitalization of Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been trying to find a resource and have come up with nothing so far. Does capitalization of keywords matter? For example, are these two keywords the same or different:

cheap flights
Cheap flights

I thought I read something that said keywords should be lower-case, but now I can't find where I had initially thought I saw it.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rachel M
October 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Rachel,

Capitalization of keywords does not matter. 

However if you stick to lowercase you will find that your keywords are more readable and manageable.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rachel M
October 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Rachel,

Capitalization of keywords does not matter. 

However if you stick to lowercase you will find that your keywords are more readable and manageable.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you!! It was making me crazy trying to find the answer Smiley Happy 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

That! THAT! I found amazing how many advertisers don't follow any "style guide rule" to manage their accounts and keep adding all types of keywords with upper/lowercase. Managing and analyzing reports are some much easier when you follow a standard default, specially when you share account with more people.

@Rachel M other important thing is that some symbols are also considered the same as spaces, like hifens, so "step-by-step" is the same as "step by step".

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Rachael,

The case of your keywords does not affect eligibility of your keywords, so "cheap flights" is the same as "Cheap flights", as others have posted here already. The one time it does make a difference is with DKI in that the case of your keywords will be preserved when inserted into the ad. It still does not affect eligibility of the keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords