6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Cap on dollar amount allowed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,  I'm setting up a display campaign that will last for only one month.  I have a budget of $300 and want to set that limit so it won't go over that.  Can some angel please tell me how to do it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: Cap on dollar amount allowed

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Periwinkle,

My working assumption is that you are from the US, pay in USD with a credit card and opted in for automatic payment. The latter means that your CC will be charged when your balance reaches US$500.00 or 30 days after your last automatic payment, whichever comes first.

Unfortunately you cannot set up a monthly budget limit in AdWords, only a daily one for which we usually use this formula: "Monthly Spending = Daily Spending x 30.4". The actual daily spending is allowed by Google to be higher or lower than the set value by about 20% a day. Therefore you are also advised to set up a rule to disable your ads when the total cost reaches $300. Come back here with a query if you don't know how to create rules. (In a nutshell: Click on the ads tab of your campaign, select the Automate drop-down menu above the ad copies, select the "Pause ads when ..." menu item, apply appropriate setting, and click Save.)

However, when the total cost comes close to $300, Google will slow down the serving of your ads. You are advised to look at your costs personally in the last days.

It is not a 100% sure fire method since you may find an inaccuracy of a few bucks at the end of the day and some cautions is always advised a bit because automatic rules may err a bit from time to time.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: Cap on dollar amount allowed

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Periwinkle,

My working assumption is that you are from the US, pay in USD with a credit card and opted in for automatic payment. The latter means that your CC will be charged when your balance reaches US$500.00 or 30 days after your last automatic payment, whichever comes first.

Unfortunately you cannot set up a monthly budget limit in AdWords, only a daily one for which we usually use this formula: "Monthly Spending = Daily Spending x 30.4". The actual daily spending is allowed by Google to be higher or lower than the set value by about 20% a day. Therefore you are also advised to set up a rule to disable your ads when the total cost reaches $300. Come back here with a query if you don't know how to create rules. (In a nutshell: Click on the ads tab of your campaign, select the Automate drop-down menu above the ad copies, select the "Pause ads when ..." menu item, apply appropriate setting, and click Save.)

However, when the total cost comes close to $300, Google will slow down the serving of your ads. You are advised to look at your costs personally in the last days.

It is not a 100% sure fire method since you may find an inaccuracy of a few bucks at the end of the day and some cautions is always advised a bit because automatic rules may err a bit from time to time.

Best,
Lakatos