AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Cannot Exclude Intent Outside Target Locations - Costs Advertisers but gives Google Revenue

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll get right to the point with an example:

Let's say you have a Campaign with Location Target of USA > Seattle, WA and you are advertising for the phrase match keyword "property management"  The location setting is set to match users in the target location or searching with intent of that location.  The campaign has many more specific phrase and exact match but it is impossible to think of all possible matches.  

Here's the problem...  if a user in San Francisco searches for "hardwood flooring" the ad will not be displayed of course.  BUT, if someone located in Seattle, searches for "San Francisco Property Management" the ad shows!

The obvious solution is to add "San Francisco" as a campaign negative match keyword.  However, there are thousands of city names that could be used in the search so to really solve the issue, you would have to add them all to a negative match keyword list.  This is in my opinion impracticle.

The much more logical and "clean" solution would be to add an option to Campaign Geographic Targeting: "Exclude searches with location intent outside my targets"

Why is this option not offered?  It makes very good sense and is not difficult because Adwords is already INCLUDING searches with location intent INSIDE targets.  I would say, across ALL Adwords accounts, worldwide, there is million of dollars being wasted (by advertisers, made by Google) because of the lack of this feature.  Any advertiser that has keywords that a user might combined with a location name in the search who is using phrase match, could simply look at the Search Term report for the entire account and they will find various city names around the country/world matching that are outside the location targets of the campaign.  Much wasted money.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cannot Exclude Intent Outside Target Locations - Costs Advertisers but gives Google Revenue

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Jeffrey C;

The obvious reason is that it is not that easy for a machine to recognize / infer an  intent. If you were to change a bit the query  to: "property management in SF",  the intent  would be clear, however,  "SF property management" could also be a name of a company, which started as a business in SF, and now has  locations outside SF.... (On top of my head, I recall "Seattle coffee works" and the "Boston smoked fish company".  Both have the locations in their names,  and have already expanded to other Geo locations..)

So, inferring the intent by a machine is not that simple algorithm, ....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Cannot Exclude Intent Outside Target Locations - Costs Advertisers but gives Google Revenue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
doesn't the "People in my targeted location" opion cover this issue ?