AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can you test topics, keywords and placements simultaneously?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

I'm trying to target specific industries with a Display Campaign but am not sure which will work best - topics, placements or keywords.

I've setup three separate ad groups each using one of the three targeting methods. Should I run all three at the same time or run them individually (say 2 days each)?

Or is there a better way to approach this?

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
September 2015

Re: Can you test topics, keywords and placements simultaneously?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
CMS,

That's not a bad approach at all in my opinion. When testing you want a many controlled parameters as possible. Everyone will have there own opinions, but without knowing your target , product, service etc. hard to give you specifics.

For your test I would run one at a time for several days, maybe even a week in case your product or service has some best time of the day or week aspects to it,

One at a time has always worked best for me so there is no interference of loss of budget between groups, fighting against each other for the winner of the Ad Auction etc. and a clear over all results that can make an apples to apples data decision over the time period, rather then mixed result that could come up from more budget and impression went toward ad group 1 then ad group 2 so to speak.

Make sense?

Which ever way you decide to test, the main thing is TEST, and make good decisions based of of the data you have to make the most conversions and ROI

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
CMS,

That's not a bad approach at all in my opinion. When testing you want a many controlled parameters as possible. Everyone will have there own opinions, but without knowing your target , product, service etc. hard to give you specifics.

For your test I would run one at a time for several days, maybe even a week in case your product or service has some best time of the day or week aspects to it,

One at a time has always worked best for me so there is no interference of loss of budget between groups, fighting against each other for the winner of the Ad Auction etc. and a clear over all results that can make an apples to apples data decision over the time period, rather then mixed result that could come up from more budget and impression went toward ad group 1 then ad group 2 so to speak.

Make sense?

Which ever way you decide to test, the main thing is TEST, and make good decisions based of of the data you have to make the most conversions and ROI

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks heaps Eric, testing one Ad Group at a time makes sense. Cheers, Ben.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I recommend to  use keywords with  either topics or  managed parchments ,

I explain this in my article:

Display Network - How many Targeting Methods to choose

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’