AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can you explain GDN targeting with simple layman language?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's how I understand Contextual vs. Interest vs. Topic targeting GDN:

Contextual - Based on content of the page. So if i advertise "shoes" and somone is on a page that talks about shoes.. or is on gmail inbox conversation about shoes.. my shoes would show up.

Interest - If i ever expressed interest in shoes by searching for it.. or reading about shoes.. then my ads would show up. Sort of "broad" remarketing even if they never came to my site about my shoes.

Topic - This is "broad" targeting of what the site is about.

Two broad questions

1) Am I understanding this correctly? If not, can someone provide better example(s)?

2) Suppose i wanted to target teachers who were interested in red shoes... how would I go about targeting these people? Would I target "red shoes" as interest, but add topical targeting of "teacher's forums" (let's say such exist)?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author taewoo
September 2015

Re: Can you explain GDN targeting with simple layman language?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again @taewoo;

A bit different;

• Contextual targeting:  your  set of keywords defines a theme which is matched to the content of a page. Usually 8-15 keywords can define a theme (e.g. Keywords about  women shoes can define a theme of women shoes)
  •  Topics are the subjects of a website;
  • Interests target the users whom the system identifies (based on their browsing history) as having an interest about certain topics (e.g. I was identified as a user who has an interest in online communities). The list of interests assigned to you can be found in your ads setting section of your Google account.

[Edited for clarification]

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Just an important correction: interests are not based on your searches, only on the sites you visited.

What can be confusing is that certain terms can be used to define an entire class of targeting:
- "interest-based advertising" or "audience targeting" typically refers to any targeting based on the user (via a cookie), including remarketing, in-market, similar audiences, affinity
- "contextual" refers to targeting based on the context, which includes keyword contextual targeting, placement targeting, topic targeting

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Correct; edited my post for clarification..  Based on the user browsing history. Thanks @Maxime T

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for that simple break down @MosheTLV.

One more follow up question

1) So interest/audience/re-targeting show ads that don't necessarily match what's on the GDN page, is that right?

2) How is "in-market" audience determined? Is it by previous searches? If not, how is this different from interest targeting?

3) How are contextual and topic targeting different? The only example i could think of is gmail... where the email content can determine what's shown. But other than gmail, I would think contextual and topic targeting should be identical. Seems redundant to me.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author taewoo
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
1) Correct
2) Not from searches no, based on specific sites you visit. So for instance if you visit review sites for cameras you're probably in market to buy one.
3) Keyword contextual targeting (KCT) is based on keywords that you list, topic targeting is based on broad topics. The first one is more work to setup but gives you greater control to optimize, the second one is less granular but easy to setup. I'd say that KCT should perform better than topic, but if you're running a branding campaign topic would work just fine.