2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can you direct link affiliate programs?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Similar questions have come up before in this thread  where we talk about landing page quality. 

In my circles it has been coming up and lot and I wanted to ask other professionals what they thought about the practice. 

Im not sure if AdWords doesnt allow direct linking in the TOU, last I read, direct linking was allowed.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Hi Oneano,   I am not sure whether or not my interpretati...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Oneano,

I am not sure whether or not my interpretation of your query is correct. The answer is, of course, positive if you wish to learn if the affiliate link can be inserted in the Destination URL field. Let's take a hypothetic example:

Display URL:                      greatsite.com

Destination URL:                affnetwork.com/code?....

In sush cases the Destination URL is acting as a tracking URL and should redirect the user to the same greatsite.com TLD, top-level domain. In other words, the true Landing Page should match the display URL.

It *can* be done in the sense that it is allowed by Google. However, in a recent thread you linked to we learned that this strategy was usually not beneficial to the affiliate. Gut feeling is you were right in saying so.

Best,

Lakatos

My question is more aimed at "is it allowed" and "what is...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

My question is more aimed at "is it allowed" and "what is your experience with it" 

I know that most affilliate links are not going to be the same as the destination sites which isnt allowed. 

It is allowed but I don't have experience with it. Also,...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It is allowed but I don't have experience with it. Also, I don't think that many affiliates are browsing this forum which translates you may not be receiving lots of responses. Hope I'm mistaken though....Smiley Very Happy

I think that the rule is that each URL per impression mus...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I think that the rule is that each URL per impression must be unique. 

This keeps competitive terms like Dating from showing Match.com for all paid results. 

You seem to be confused a bit. The search term dating act...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You seem to be confused a bit. The search term dating actually does bring up a sponsored link for Match.com which translates your statement is false that it's prevented from showing for the query.

However, the online merchant might well have hundreds of affiliates and only one of them will be allowed by Google to show the ad on the search results page at each and every time, not matter how many of you would like it to happen. It means if you're outranked by any of the hundreds of your fellow affiliates your ad will not display.

I think I confused you into thinking that I was confused...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I think I confused you into thinking that I was confused Smiley Very Happy 

I was saying that every display URL per result must be unique. Match.com would only show up once on a serach term like dating. 

Hi oneano,   I think you have this right. For any single...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi oneano,

I think you have this right. For any single SERP, only one ad per account will show and only one ad per display domain. If you direct link to the affiliate site, you will probably be at a disadvantage to other advertisers in that you have no unique content on your own web site. And you will be competing with all other advertisers for that site who also direct link.

So, yes, you can do that. Yes, it is allowed. But it might not be a great idea.

Best of Luck !

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Oneano, what I can see is that Pete understands your lang...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Oneano, what I can see is that Pete understands your language much more clearly than me. Please, don't take it personal. Yep, you're probably right you did confuse me a bit ... Smiley LOL

Direct link might not be a good idea, as Pete says. One reason is the SERP page we just discussed. (aka Google's double serving policy!) Lack of analytics is another reason. You're unable to edit the LP which is a 3rd reason. We could probably go on listing additional reasons for a while.