AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can we use THIS setup now that Final URLS are coming?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I have a technical question and I'm hoping someone can help me before I start spending a bunch of money on ads.

I am an affiliate of another person's product and he uses 1shoppingcart.com for as his affiliate program provider.  I was given an affiliate link in this format:   www.productownerdoman.com/cmd.php?CLK=123456

When someone clicks that link... they are taken to the product sales page and I get credit for the sale.

Now..  when setting up the ad in adwords...  I listed the display url as www.productsalespage.com and I listed the FINAL url to be www.productsalespage.com since they have to match.

In the AD URL OPTIONS area I put in www.productownerdoman.com/cmd.php?CLK=123456

My question is... does this work?

When a buyer clicks the ad... will they go through my affiliate link...  or will they go directly to the final url as if they just typed it from scratch?  If is the latter... I'll never get a sale despite all the effort I'm making.

The alternative is to have my ads go to my affiliate site... where I do have original content...BUT.. there's no guarantee that anyone who goes there will ever see the project sales page.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm worried that users are flat out bypassing my affiliate information altogether.

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David B
September 2015

Re: Can we use THIS setup now that Final URLS are coming?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

@David B

The ad will use the tracking template in this case (www.productownerdoman.com/cmd.php?CLK=123456) so the user will go through the affiliate link.

However, the final URL www.productsalespage.com looks like a homepage to me, can you confirm  your affiliate link goes to the homepage of the website ?

because if it goes to www.productsalespage.com/somepage, you need to put the full URL in final URL (as in not only the domain, the actual URL of the page I'm going to).

The rule of thumb in your case is that if I click on your tracking template or on your final URL I should see the same thing in my browser.

Note 1 : because your affiliate link can not use the {lpurl} structure it has to remain at the ad / keyword level and you can not benefit from shared tracking template

Note 2 : Stay tuned, we'll have a test functionality soon to let you verify all those things directly in your account.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I'm not much of an affiliate guy myself so I can't offer you any sound advice here but I have a recommendation.

We have a Google Product Manager for Upgraded URL's ( @AdWordsPMLeo ) answering questions here: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/From-the-Community-Team/Do-you-track-URLs-Ask-the-Product-Ma...

I would run this by him, or perhaps he can jump into this thread and give you some advice.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David B
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

@David B

The ad will use the tracking template in this case (www.productownerdoman.com/cmd.php?CLK=123456) so the user will go through the affiliate link.

However, the final URL www.productsalespage.com looks like a homepage to me, can you confirm  your affiliate link goes to the homepage of the website ?

because if it goes to www.productsalespage.com/somepage, you need to put the full URL in final URL (as in not only the domain, the actual URL of the page I'm going to).

The rule of thumb in your case is that if I click on your tracking template or on your final URL I should see the same thing in my browser.

Note 1 : because your affiliate link can not use the {lpurl} structure it has to remain at the ad / keyword level and you can not benefit from shared tracking template

Note 2 : Stay tuned, we'll have a test functionality soon to let you verify all those things directly in your account.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks.. in this case the final URL is also the root of the domain.. so we're good there!

I appreciate the fast response!

David.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leo - Thanks again for all of your help a while ago with this. You addessed several of my questions in early April at:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/From-the-Community-Team/Do-you-track-URLs-Product-Manager-ad...

I'd reply there but that thread seems to have been closed or expired.

I know what needs to be done but have been holding off on actually doing it until you guys have finished the validation tool you mentioned here in response to my question earlier that day.

Where I said:
But when I hover over the ad in adwords, it shows in the browser status bar that the underlying url is just www.displayurl.com. Is it only going to www.displayurl.com and not to http://www.trackingurl.com/track.php?id=xxxxxxxxxx, ie: not being tracked?

Based on when you said “To build the ad URL we always look first for a tracking template and use the final URL if there is none anywhere in the hierarchy.” it would seem that my tracking template is not working.

And you said:

Comment 2: When you click in the Ad in the UI we go to the final URL as this is where the ad is supposed to go (i.e. this is not a troubleshooting link) but rest assured the tracking template is the one used for the Ad URL.
Note: We're working on something to help you validate the set up.
=> in both cases, the tracking template is the one serving.

Is this something that you expect might be released imminently? Thank you very much!

Jason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leo - sorry but I have one other quick and hopefully simple question. I see you have added a "test" button to some accounts but not all. Is that a roll out that is happening now? I suppose that answers my question above. But I do have a question about its functionality. If the tracking template would ultimately bring a user to a url like www.website.com/index.html?abcd=1234, is it ok to set the "final url" as simply website.com or should it have the paramaters also? I tried it without the parameters and it said url mismatch, but the landing page is the same in both cases. I read in one of your posts you said "The rule of thumb in your case is that if I click on your tracking template or on your final URL I should see the same thing in my browser."
Thanks.
Jason

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leo - I'm just checking to see if you're getting these messages. Please advise. Thanks.
Jason

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@AdWordsPMLeo
Hi Leo - I'm just checking to see if you're getting these messages. Please advise. Thanks.
Jason

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Jason,

I think I can help you out with your query here.

I had a similar issue in my account but there is a way to find out if the upgrade is working for you and the Tracking parameters are infact being appended to my LP url when the ad is clicked on.

1. You can use the 'Test' functionality that is now available in all accounts and check if your URL's have been upgraded properly. Other than this, you can click on the speech bubble when the test is completed and you can see at the bottom of the speech bubble a parameter called 'Click URL' this should ideally have all you parameters as required. The idea here is that when you click on your ad in the interface, say under the Ads tab, and the LP opens up in another tab on the browser the tagging will not be appended there, which was not the case earlier, so I understand your query here but be rest assured the tracking parameters will get appended to your URL when the ad is clicked on.

2. Another way to do this is to go to your Ad Preview tool search using your most traffic garnering keyword and try and check if your ad is getting triggered. If your ad is shown on the preview tool, you can just click on the ad there and see your LP open in a new tab with all your tagging present.

3. Worst case scenario, you upgrade your URL's, then search for your ads on the SERP and then click on your on the SERP or GDN and then see the LP open with all the tagging parameters.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"