Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can we start with only CPA bidding?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My company is trying to set up adwords campaign after an initial research on keywords and basics of bidding strategies. However, we have already hired an agency to do that for us couple of months ago. At this stage, we would like to start it with our own office staff. Since adwords can be a costly marketing strategy and that we are beginners, we are quite unsure of how to start with. Some of the basic questions are:

1. Can we start with only CPA bidding without CPC or CPM ?

2. Will our advertisement be actually shown if we start with CPA only? Does that mean if our quality score is good, google displays our ad for free and charge us only if someone actually buys something?

3. Considering the fact that we are a small scale business and our staffs are beginners in adwords, what is the budget that you recommend?

Thanks

Suren

Re: Can we start with only CPA bidding?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Welcome Suren,

Your answers are inlined .

1. Can we start with only CPA bidding without CPC or CPM ?

Google do give CPA bidding option to its advertiser., you can read more about it here . But you still pay google on CPC basis , its an option where Google optimize your keyword cpc to meet you CPA limit.

2. Will our advertisement be actually shown if we start with CPA only? Does that mean if our quality score is good, Google displays our ad for free and charge us only if someone actually buys something?

Google will charge on the basis of CPC or CPM which ever strategy you choose.

3. Considering the fact that we are a small scale business and our staffs are beginners in adwords, what is the budget that you recommend?

To my understanding you are very new to Adwords. So start with minimum you guys can afford to get familiar with Google adword UI and functionality. May be after a week or so, when you are more confident to handle bigger budgets you can increase it. Read more about daily budgets here

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Suren

Welcome to the community!

#1 If you are starting a Fresh Adwords campaign, then you won't be able to select CPA bidding initially. To enable CPA bidding you need to start Conversion Optimizer, which have a requirement that your campaign should get at least 15 conversions in last 30 days. Initially you have to start with CPC bidding only.
And just for info, CPM bidding is cost per thousand impression which works on Display Network only, if you are starting a display campaign then you can start with this bidding as well.

#2 Google charge on the basis of clicks only, in CPA bidding Google try to optimize you bids for the clicks which are more likely to convert. Till now Google don't have any model which charge on the basis Conversions.Also CPA bidding doesn't gaurantee that your cost per conversion will be exact same what you have set, it can be higher or lower.

#3 Since you are new to Adwords, so i recommend that you start with the budget that's suits to your pocket or even less until and unless you are comfortable with the Adwords working.

I recommend that you read more About Conversion Optimiser and CPA bidding from links mentioned below:-
# https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472713?hl=en
#https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much guys. I really appreciate your feedback.
One more stupid question:
I have read in some blogs that we can even start with a $ 10 per day budget. Do you think that would be reasonable enough to get the traffic ?

Thanks
Suren

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Suren

Its the way Google tells you that there is no minimum spending requirement from Google in order to advertise through Adwords. And yes you can start your campaign with $10 per day budget but it depends on the keywords that you choose, that how much traffic you will get in $10. For e.g if each click cost $1 then you will receive 10 clicks and if each click cost $0.10 then you will receive 100 clicks from $10 daily budget.
For your daily budget, i would suggest that your start with the budget which suits to pockets, if it is $10 then start with that only.

Abhishek