3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can't find Keywords Planner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've signed into AdWords, but don't want to buy an ad at this point. I want only see the Keywords Planner, but when I sign in all I get is a “your first campaign” page that is all about buying an ad from Google. There was – and is – no other option; absolutely no links to anything else at all – not even profile or such basics. When I log in I go straight to the “first campaign” page that wants my credit card details. The only way I can see ANY other pages at Google AdWords is to log out!

I've been told that I should click on a ‘Skip the guided set-up’ button, but after finding it and clicking on it it then goes to a page to set up an AdWords account requesting email, country, time zone and currency. Then it goes to a page requesting log in to AdWords account, which then goes to the “new campaign” page, and you have to buy an ad – no other options/links that I can see.

Can anyone please help? Do I have to buy an ad to use the tools?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derrick W
September 2015

Re: Can't find Keywords Planner

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Derrick,
Welcome to AdWords Community,

Yes, you can use the keyword planner without creating any ads and campaign,

Please follow the below link for similar thread:-

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Members-lounge/Free-Adwords-Account/m-p/373210#M20992
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derrick W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Derrick,
Welcome to AdWords Community,

Yes, you can use the keyword planner without creating any ads and campaign,

Please follow the below link for similar thread:-

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Members-lounge/Free-Adwords-Account/m-p/373210#M20992
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
You should have a billing method in place and a campaign in place (though not necessarily running) in order to have access to the "keyword planner". (The tool is aimed towards active advertisers - not as a research tool)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Derrik W,

You don't have to "have a billing method in place" or " a "campaign in place (though not necessarily running)" to use the keywords planner Smiley Happy

Here is how the second screen looks like after creating a new adwords account and it has the menu available .

Whoever doesn't believe me can create a new account in a matter of minutes to see that same menu.

Because you are not seeing the Tools menu, I think you might have created an "AdWords express account" which indeed does not have the Keyword Planner in the menu because Google decides the keywords in that case, not the advertiser.

screen3a.png

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - it seems to work now - although it keeps a red banner toward the top saying I should activate my account and get some ads. It's very strange, as for a long time it wouldn't let me past a page wanting me  to give them credit card details, and if I tried to login it would go straight to that page. Very frustrating. Then, one day, I used a link from a Google search (!) - I can't remember what it was - and I could see the dropdown menus for ADwords including "Tools". Ever since then, everytime I login, I get the normal menu with Tools - although, as I said, I also get the banner admonishing me for a deactivated ad campaign. Anyway, all sorted for now. Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, but it seems I can use it without giving cc details - see my reply to Rakesh.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I should also apologise for not replying sooner - I only just today got a notification from Google that anyone had replied to my question. Many thanks to all three for who replied for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have found an alternate solution to this dilemma and wanted to share my input! If you are locked in creating a campaign during the initial sign up process when you simply just want to see the available features, right-click Back until you're entirely out of the campaign section. It may start you back at the beginning, but this way you're not constantly signing in and out to find that "home" page. Click skip guided process, if it takes you back to the beginning of the set up. On either of the steps, simply click Back until you're on an "admin panel". On this page you can manage/delete your current campaign (if you were forced from the beginning) and have access to the AdWords welcome page.

This was a very frustrating ordeal and hope anyone stuck on this same problem will benefit from this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've signed into AdWords, but don't want to buy an ad at this point. I want only see the Keywords Planner, but when I sign in all I get is a “your first campaign” page that is all about buying an ad from Google. There was – and is – no other option; absolutely no links to anything else at all – not even profile or such basics. When I log in I go straight to the “first campaign” page that wants my credit card details. The only way I can see ANY other pages at Google AdWords is to log out!

I've been told that I should click on a ‘Skip the guided set-up’ button, but after finding it and clicking on it it then goes to a page to set up an AdWords account requesting email, country, time zone and currency. Then it goes to a page requesting log in to AdWords account, which then goes to the “new campaign” page, and you have to buy an ad – no other options/links that I can see.
Can anyone please help? Do I have to buy an ad to use the tools?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’