Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can't delete adwords account

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a credit on my account, but it was from a free coupon I used years ago.  I'm on postpay and the billing summary current balance is in parentheses.  I don't care about using that credit and would simply like to permanently close my adwords account.  There is no link under the "My Account" tab or anywhere else that I can find to actually cancel/close/delete/whatever the account.  So how do I do it?  Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Can't delete adwords account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RonStrilaeff,

Have you followed these steps?

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RonStrilaeff
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi RonStrilaeff,

Try this:

You're going to have to jump back and forth between accounts here. Two separate browsers should work...FF/Chrome/IE

You'll need an alternative gmail address (if you don't have one, create one). Log in with your active email on Adwords (I hope you're an admin) and invite that new email address as a new user on the account. Once you accept the invite on the new account, switch to your current email and assign that new user as an administrator on the account. Then, once you can verify that the new user is an administrator, disassociate the original email address from the account.

If because your account is "deleted" you can no longer invite a new user then I would try contacting support.

I think this will free up your email address for use elsewhere.

-Tom
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi RonStrilaeff,

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for replying so quickly ...

Yes I have followed those directions but there is no "account cancellation" section in step 3 so I'm stuck there.

I use postpay and...

My last payment was successful

1. Sign in to your AdWords account at adwords.google.com.au
  2. Click the My account tab at the top of the page and then Preferences.
  3. In the "Account Cancellation" section, click Cancel this account.
  4. On the following page, when you're ready to cancel, click Cancel My account.

I actually I never had a "transaction" except  to apply that $100 coupon.  I suspect that a non-zero balance is what is hiding the cancellation section.

Hmmm, after more looking around  I think maybe my expections are too high..  I'm wanting to DELETE the account so my login name can be used on our active adsense account as an invited administrator/user.  On this adwords account dashboard, I just noticed a bright red alert on one of the adwords screens that says "This account has been cancelled ...".  That's weird, since it still exists and I can login in to it and see all that ancient/obsolete data ...  So maybe that's typical of most google stuff, you can never actually delete or permanently remove anything so it doesn't exist. Shouldn't I be able to actually delete my adwords account so that associated e-mail can be used elsewhere?

Thanks again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RonStrilaeff
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi RonStrilaeff,

Try this:

You're going to have to jump back and forth between accounts here. Two separate browsers should work...FF/Chrome/IE

You'll need an alternative gmail address (if you don't have one, create one). Log in with your active email on Adwords (I hope you're an admin) and invite that new email address as a new user on the account. Once you accept the invite on the new account, switch to your current email and assign that new user as an administrator on the account. Then, once you can verify that the new user is an administrator, disassociate the original email address from the account.

If because your account is "deleted" you can no longer invite a new user then I would try contacting support.

I think this will free up your email address for use elsewhere.

-Tom

Hi Tom,    I also replied on Ron's other thread here.   T...

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 5
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tom, 

I also replied on Ron's other thread here.

Thanks,

Zee
G+

I see the work around now... So I will create a bogus adw...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see the work around now... So I will create a bogus gmail account, to free up my good one.  Thanks to both you and Zee.

Zee, Sorry about that...missed that post. RonStrilaeff, I...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Zee,

Sorry about that...missed that post.

RonStrilaeff,

I would call it assigning a new administrative contact to an account. Nothing bogus about that. Smiley Happy

-Tom

Finally worked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The e-mail I wanted to use for my real anaytics/adsense/adwords admin is now free from the "cancelled" (more like zombie) adwords account that was holding it hostage.   The confusing part is that google's definition of "cancel" is more like "temporarily inactivate until you hopefully change your mind", and does not mean permanently delete, and destroy all data, and sever all links with previous admin accounts and e-mails.  Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Account Cancellation"  button section at the bottom of the page, not showing

PPCBossman wrote:

Hi RonStrilaeff,

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom --

I'm stuck in a similar situation. I'm supposed to be able to access my company's account but I can't login due to my email address being associated with another AdWords account. I already tried inviting/confirming an alternate email address, but there was no way to disassociate my original email address from the account because my account was already cancelled and I have not been able to find the message under the "Campaigns" tab to reactivate my account in order to complete this process.

I've also tried to remove AdWords as a product from my profile as suggested by the Help function under "My Account", but there is no "Edit" function within the "Products" section of my account.

Very frustrating.

-Lena