AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can some please explain me this ? Minumum Bid is (-) blank

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I am new to adword.

I have a simple question, If I search for "red rice bowl" in keyword planner, it shows me only 10 searches and suggested bid is (-) which means blank.

So, now my question is, if I add this keyword to my plan, they ask me for bid range. If i select the minimum available bid , let's say 0.01 cents or any possible minimum figure.

I will be charged (that minimum amount x 10) which will be 0.01 x 10 = 10 cents , because there are only 10 clicks.

Is this right or not ?

* What basically i want to know is , if there is no suggested bid for a particular keyword, Should I bid for minimum price, Will I be getting clicks or not ?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can some please explain me this ? Minumum Bid is (-) blank

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Atul,

Let me try and help you with this.

If you keyword in the planner gives you no minimum bid, it implies that Google has not yet received enough searches (as per their internal criteria) to suggest a bid to you.

So when you say, you will set a minimum bid for such a keyword (whatever the figure), you will not be charged that bid amount. The Cost per Click (CPC), is always calculated basis the cpc incurred by the ad copy above you (in terms of ad position) on the SERP.

You are actually charged just 1 cent lesser as compared to the CPC bid for the ad above you. You can understand this by looking at the CPC, Clicks & Cost columns in the Interface. You should ideally see that the CPC's your keywords have incurred are lower or almost the same as the Bid you have set for them.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!
Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Atul,

If Keyword Planning showing 10 as volume that doesn't mean you will get only 10 clicks entire month. This can vary. 10 is average search volume only. (The average number of times people have searched for the exact keyword based on the location and Search Network targeting that you've selected. We average the number of searches for the term over a 12-month period.)

As you want to apply 0.01 as bid then you must need to know, The amount is only a forecast, and your actual cost-per-click may vary.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @atul k,

Adding to the great explanations above...

A bid of $0.01 does not seem to be practical in today's scenario. I don't remember when I actually saw a keyword bid at the that amount recently. It definitely has to do a lot with the minimum quality threshold which Google sets internally on keywords in an account.

Moreover, if there's no data for the keyword, or if there are lesser advertisers actually advertising for a keyword, it does not mean one would be able to bid merely 0.01 to start showing ads. 

Hence, if you bid 0.01, there's almost no chance that your ads would trigger. If it shows up, trust me, you're are the luckiest and I envy you now Smiley Happy

How much to bid then?

Well, my suggestion in this context would to be find the estimated price of neighbourhood houses to decide the price for your own apartment. Analyse how much do the keywords like rice bowl, buy rice bowl, clay rice bowl etc. are estimated to cost? It will give you an idea. Bid around this amount and run the campaign for sometime, you will get the actual price easily. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hello, thanks for the reply.
I got it to some level. Here are 2 more questions which arose now.

You said ,"("You are actually charged just 1 cent lesser as compared to the CPC bid for the ad above you.")".

1) If no ad is there for that particular keyword, or no one in the world bid for that, then ?

2) If we don't know the exact bidding amount, just because of 1 cent we"ll be lowered to 2nd position.

Which brings me to here, If I bid higher, I won't be charged that amount what I bid, instead I will be charged just that 1cent extra, to be on top.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,
thanks for your precious time as well.

You answered, "The amount is only a forecast, and your actual cost-per-click may vary."

How can i know that actual cost-per-click ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, Ratan.
thanks for your reply too , Smiley Happy

I still have some doubt about pricing.

As asked above, I"ll ask you again. Suppose no one bid for that keyword, let say the keyword is "Atul Adword Guy Biker".

Now, why would any other person would bid for this keyword. So, now if I bid for this, how much google is going to charge me is -- for now.

Once i recharged my account with 1000INR, and set a bid amount of 1INR for this. What will happen next ?

Will I get 1000 hits,
or
Will I get 100 hits,
or
Nothing will happen,
Neither there will be hits
nor
any deduction of money from my balance.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@atul k

Suppose no one bids for that keyword...what will be the charge...?

If you are the only advertiser bidding for a keyword, this keyword is more likely to have a low-search-volume status. If so, your ads will not trigger as long as there is not an increase in the search volume. Even if it shows up, it will have very lesser impressions. 

What will the charge?

As I said above, even if you are the only advertiser you will not necessarily be paying only $0.01 for a click. There's a threshold which is internal and not disclosed to us all. Your ads will not start triggering till your ad ranks (which of course combines bid) goes above that threshold. Supposing you cross that threshold by increasing your bid to $0.25, this is where you ads will start triggering. So obviously this, or a bit lesser will be the amount you will be charged per click.

And if there is no click, there won't be any charge. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Atul,

You can understand the actual CPC concept from here. Yes, I agree with @Ratan-Jha, there is threshold that required to appear your ads on top positions, (whether is there is other competitors or bidding or not).

If you are saying that there is no competitors, it does not mean that nobody is bidding on those keywords and keywords have low search volumes

If you are not seeing the ads on real time,

It may be possible that some advertisers are not running those keywords, the time when you are searching on Google (They may use ad scheduling)

It may be the reasons of device targeting, ad relevancy and locations, where you are performing search. 

It is also possible that your actual CPC would be around $0.01, If your ads meets all threshold, receive higher quality score as well as a good format of ad extensions, when actual search is performed.

Please see the examples where keywords have much lower avg CPC,

Keywords Bid.PNG

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Atul,

If a keyword has very low search volumes, Google is not really running auctions for them. You may not see any ads for these keywords. 

Once Google starts seeing an increased search volume for that keyword, it starts "selling" that keyword... which means you can now bid for that keyword so that your ads show up.

The amount you bid determines your ad rank. More the competition, the higher you need to bid.

Google basically has 3 thresholds that you need to be aware of..

1. base bid - minimum amount you need to even enter the auction for any keyword

2. First Page Bid Estimate - minimum bid you need to beat the competition and be atleast on the 1st page of google

3. Top of page bid -  bid threshold needed to be on the top of the page

You need to remember that these are only approximate average bids and can change very frequently.

You always pay 1 cent more that the advertiser bid below you. Here is one video from Google to help you understand Ad Rank calculation better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

If you want to show up your ads you should not worry about the search volume of that keyword, as long as Google is auctioning for that keyword.

It is also possible that keywords with low search volumes have a high competition. So dont be under the impression that just because a keyword id not being search for enough, it will be cheaper to advertise on.

High search volume keywords are generally very generic in nature and hence are bound to have more competition and thus would be more expensive.

Hope this clarifies things... Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!