AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can google guarantee for ads to be shown as number one?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was needing to find out if anyone (not just when you are using Google AdWords, but even when you are using a company to produce your ads for Google) can guarantee your ad to be first all the time? I wouldn't think so based off of their algorythum they use for randomizing the ads, but I could be wrong, so I thought I would ask. So is it possible to do this, even third parties?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author msank
September 2015

Re: Can google guarantee for ads to be shown as number one?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi msank and welcome to the forum.  Great question - I'm sure you're referring to the countless companies that make this claim in their sales spiel.

Unfortunately, there's no really simple answer.  The answer - probably 95% of the time is no.  No one, not even the best Adwords manager in the land, can guarantee you'll be #1 for every showing of your Ad.  However, things aren't as simple as this sounds.  A lot of SEO companies make this sort of claim with organic listings and they'll say something like:

"We guarantee you'll be #1 for organic searches related to your company".

What they then do to fufill this guarantee is use a search query that's so precise it can't possibly fail to bring your website back as the #1 result.  It's possible to do the same thing with Adwords.  They may promise your Ad will be the #1 spot, then use a keyword that's engineered to have no competition, yet be relevant enough to your site to have a reasonable Quality Score.

By the way, as far as I'm aware there's no "algorithm for randomizing ads".  Ads all take part in an auction and their position is determined by their CPC and Quality Score, which itself has other elements.  Ads change position constantly as advertisers come and go through the day and, of course, not all Ads are shown at all times nor to every person - especially if repeated searches are made upon the same browser and the same search term(s).

What's perhaps more important is the lack of thorough understanding behind the claim to make your Ad #1.  A sensible Adwords manager would never make such a claim because such an objective may not be beneficial to the client.  For example, the #1 spot can often be substantially more expensive than the #2 or #3 slot, while still remaining at the top of SERPs.  When profit margins are tight - and even when they're not - it may more sense to aim for these positions - or even the top right - rather than the absolute #1.  Being #1 can often also involve you in a "bidding war", where CPC costs spiral for no good reason.

Hopefully this'll give you some food for thought!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello msank;

Let me quote from the "horse's mouth":

• "No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google".
  • "Beware of SEOs that claim to guarantee rankings, allege a "special relationship" with Google, or advertise a "priority submit" to Google. There is no priority submit for Google. In fact, the only way to submit a site to Google directly is through our Add URL page or by submitting a Sitemap and you can do this yourself at no cost whatsoever."

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35291

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi msank and welcome to the forum.  Great question - I'm sure you're referring to the countless companies that make this claim in their sales spiel.

Unfortunately, there's no really simple answer.  The answer - probably 95% of the time is no.  No one, not even the best Adwords manager in the land, can guarantee you'll be #1 for every showing of your Ad.  However, things aren't as simple as this sounds.  A lot of SEO companies make this sort of claim with organic listings and they'll say something like:

"We guarantee you'll be #1 for organic searches related to your company".

What they then do to fufill this guarantee is use a search query that's so precise it can't possibly fail to bring your website back as the #1 result.  It's possible to do the same thing with Adwords.  They may promise your Ad will be the #1 spot, then use a keyword that's engineered to have no competition, yet be relevant enough to your site to have a reasonable Quality Score.

By the way, as far as I'm aware there's no "algorithm for randomizing ads".  Ads all take part in an auction and their position is determined by their CPC and Quality Score, which itself has other elements.  Ads change position constantly as advertisers come and go through the day and, of course, not all Ads are shown at all times nor to every person - especially if repeated searches are made upon the same browser and the same search term(s).

What's perhaps more important is the lack of thorough understanding behind the claim to make your Ad #1.  A sensible Adwords manager would never make such a claim because such an objective may not be beneficial to the client.  For example, the #1 spot can often be substantially more expensive than the #2 or #3 slot, while still remaining at the top of SERPs.  When profit margins are tight - and even when they're not - it may more sense to aim for these positions - or even the top right - rather than the absolute #1.  Being #1 can often also involve you in a "bidding war", where CPC costs spiral for no good reason.

Hopefully this'll give you some food for thought!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really appreciate this great information! It really is food for thought. I will pass this information on to the higher ups at my company!

Thanks, again!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello msank;

Let me quote from the "horse's mouth":

• "No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google".
  • "Beware of SEOs that claim to guarantee rankings, allege a "special relationship" with Google, or advertise a "priority submit" to Google. There is no priority submit for Google. In fact, the only way to submit a site to Google directly is through our Add URL page or by submitting a Sitemap and you can do this yourself at no cost whatsoever."

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35291

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Alrighty! Thanks so much, MosheTLV!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Jon gave you a full technical explanation and background on these practices. I quoted Google's warning. Both posts give you "a complete picture" to make the right decision when approached by those "agencies".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! I appreciate the full spectrum of information!