AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can close variants be eliminated by exact match negative keywords?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone, 

When I check my Search Terms report, I can see that my ad is showing for close variants that I am not interested in showing for. I would like to know if I can eliminate this issue by adding the close variant as an exact match negative keyword.

For example, [NYC Insurance] is showing for "close variant" [Insurance in New York City] but (for my account) this keyword does not perform as well as the keyword I am targeting, and I would like to eliminate the chance of my ad showing for it. 

I'm testing this now but thought I'd see if anyone had any experience! 

Thanks, 

Allie 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AllieMargeson
June

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Allie,

Yes, you can negative match close variants to prevent your ad from showing on those searches. Negatives exact match keywords do not follow the close variant matching rules so you won't unintentionally block your ad from showing on multiple search terms. Here is a link to an interesting article on this topic as well as a script that you can implement to automate this process: http://searchengineland.com/seriously-google-can-just-make-exact-match-exact-271593

Hope that helps,

Jim

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AllieMargeson
June

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Allie,

Yes, you can negative match close variants to prevent your ad from showing on those searches. Negatives exact match keywords do not follow the close variant matching rules so you won't unintentionally block your ad from showing on multiple search terms. Here is a link to an interesting article on this topic as well as a script that you can implement to automate this process: http://searchengineland.com/seriously-google-can-just-make-exact-match-exact-271593

Hope that helps,

Jim

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the info @JimVaillancourt!

Allie 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I just heard back from my Google Rep on this issue, as I reached out to her shortly before posting here, and this is what she says:

"I would be cautious with putting them as negatives because it may trigger a keyword conflict and cause your ads to not show or get low impressions because match types are not always recognized for negative keywords. You may just want to include the words that you don't want to show for."

Any thoughts?

Allie 

Re: Can close variants be eliminated by exact match negative keywords?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hey Allie,

This is the intended consequence in regards to the first statement: "it may trigger a keyword conflict and cause your ads to not show or get low impressions". In my eight years of paid search I have never heard that "match types are not always recognized for negative keywords" and it's even more surprising that a Google rep stated that. I may just be cynical but I would recommend testing anyways. Implement your exact match negative keywords and after a week or so measure the performance of your account at a search term level. If there was a significant decrease in volume on the search terms that you did NOT want to block then you should revert your changes. I would be surprised if this is the case.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well that's concerning Smiley Tongue Again, thanks for your insight!