AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can becoming Google Adwords certified help me get a job?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! I'm looking to change careers and considering digital marketing/ copywriting. If I were to get Google AdWords certified how could it help me as a freelancer?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Can becoming Google Adwords certified help me get a job?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Chloe M,

Being able to answer your question requires abilities that no one can really have. I would hate to say that becoming certified or not becoming certified could make great things happen.

I can say that being a copywriter does not require AdWords certification. And as a agency owner, I would not look for those credentials or hire a copywriter (or not) based on one being certified.

To expand...

I would want any assistant using the functions of AdWords to be certified. In fact, I would insist on it to even consider letting someone near my accounts.  

Yet, I would not expect or care to have a copywriter to be certified. I would want them to write really well, have previous service in a writing-related industry, to be a great communicator with words, to spell perfectly, and to be a creative writer (actually the most important aspect). I know some brilliant writers but they do not or will not work in the advertising world since it requires a creative writing style that often breaks the rules of proper writing (per academics).

This is also true with SEO (search engine optimization). I have watched English professors from top colleges butcher high-ranking websites by rewriting the pages to academic greatness... and then the pages fall off the organic search results. Websites are generally written so that a fifth grader can understand them. This takes a certain type of writer that really understands a subject to make it simple to grasp for readers. And it takes a great writer to make things engaging... and written correctly and with spelling & punctuation.  

With that said, if you want to be a freelance AdWords advertising expert, you would absolutely want to be certified in it. You really would not want to even consider doing so without the certification. You would also want to find a friend or family member with a website and offer to run some ads for them for free and actually use AdWords while (or before/after) testing. Most agencies will want hands-on experience over the certification. They know that many use the platform without being certified and that skills trump schooling. What trumps that? Skills and schooling! 

All the Best,

James