AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Can anyone please tell me if the following scenario complies with AdWords Double Serve policy?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A company sells a product/service and uses multiple websites to simultaneously run ads using the same keywords?

In other words, can ONE company/entity run ads for:

1) Multiple accounts

2) Featuring different websites

3) Which sell the same product/service

4) Targeting the same keywords

5) At the same time?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can anyone please tell me if the following scenario complies with AdWords Double Serve policy?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi columbo,

This would not be allowe and would be considered a violation of the double-serving policy unless you could get an exception granted by Google. That's not likely either. Exceptions are sometimes granted for very large companies who wish to segment marketing efforts for different divisions, but not for this. I wouldn't even bother to ask.

Anything that you do in an effort o show more than one ad for ONE business entity is considered a violation of the double-serving policy.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Can anyone please tell me if the following scenario complies with AdWords Double Serve policy?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Edited: It is a breach of policy to establish two or more accounts and promote as columbo described. However, I have read elsewhere on this forum (but I can't find the source) that as long as the owner of multiple sites targeting the same thing keeps it all in one account it is acceptable. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Re: AdWords Double Serving policy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Styyna , Welcome:

To keep it short and simple: One business - One account , No exceptions! This is a strict policy, that if violated, your account is immediately suspended.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Styyna,

As long as the sites are kept in one AdWords account you cannot violate the Policy. It's because, for a given Search Query, Google will pick max. one matching keyword from the account to compete in the auction. Hence you're unable to double serve even if it's your evident intention.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From Google's Double-Serving Policy

"When we find that an account isn't in compliance with our double-serving policy, we'll prevent multiple related ads from appearing on the same query. Exceptions to this policy are granted only in very limited cases. When reviewing requests, we focus on the preservation of a unique user experience for each site, and also take into account the following:"

I've seen examples of this Double-Serving Policy being granted for companies that are not much bigger then the others in their industry.. So I would say "Exceptions to this policy are granted " what are the rules/guidelines for these exceptions?

Re: AdWords Double Serving policy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From Google's Double-Serving Policy "When we find that an account isn't in compliance with our double-serving policy, we'll prevent multiple related ads from appearing on the same query. Exceptions to this policy are granted only in very limited cases. When reviewing requests, we focus on the preservation of a unique user experience for each site, and also take into account the following:

" I've seen examples of this Double-Serving Policy being granted for companies that are not much bigger then the others in their industry.. So I would say "Exceptions to this policy are granted " what are the rules/guidelines for these exceptions?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks for double posting your kind query.

The rules/guidelines are set out on the very same help page that you cited from.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=14179

"When reviewing requests, we focus on the preservation of a unique user experience for each site, and also take into account the following:

• The destination site for each ad offers different products or services (for example, a large manufacturer with two product sites, one solely for stereos and one solely for computers, both running on the keyword 'electronics')
  • The destination site for each ad serves a different purpose (for example, one site focuses on product information only, and the other site focuses on product sale only)
  • Any product overlaps for each ad's destination site are not significant enough to affect user experience
  • The pricing difference offered by each site is significant and based on the same criteria (for example, if one site includes pricing with tax, the other site must include pricing with tax)

The following criteria are generally not considered for exceptions:

• Different target audiences such as B2B, B2C, and gender
  • Different branding of websites. Websites advertising similar products with different branding will be reviewed against user experience criteria above
  • Business structure - e.g., different divisions within the same company or group
  • Accounts being handled by various 3rd parties such as agencies and SEOs (search engine optimizers)"

Is this double serving?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Starting my own topic from another post. My question has to do with a company that has multiple sites in one account.

Lakatos wrote:

As long as the sites are kept in one AdWords account you cannot violate the Policy. It's because, for a given Search Query, Google will pick max. one matching keyword from the account to compete in the auction. Hence you're unable to double serve even if it's your evident intention.

The intent isn't to double serve at all.

I've recently been asked to take over managing an AdWords account for a company that has 3 web sites all promoting the same product. The only difference that exists is that the product can be rented or purchased. One site is specific to regional rentals, one to national sales, and the other handles both. Their goal is to eventually unite all sales and rentals under the last account which is the newest and they are building awareness of that site while maintaining their existing presence (and revenue) on the other sites.

They are all under one account and there is no crossover of key words between the campaigns for each site. There are literally a couple dozen or more excellent key words that generate traffic to these sites so there is no need for crossover. The company has been operating this way for 4-5 years with no problems.

Before I take it over I want to be sure that they aren't in anyway in violation of the double-serving policy. And, of course, if they are I want to be able to tell them so with solid information.

Finally, if it is determined that they are in violation, and if they immediately discontinue their current practices and focus only on one site with all the keywords, are they at risk of permanent suspension anyway? And, if they must discontinue those practices is deletion of campaigns the best way (even though I know that they never go away even if they are deleted)?

Thanks.

Re: Is this double serving?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV -

I see that you moved my post back under this topic. I thought that we were not to pollute other questions with our own and that is why I started a new topic.

As for my question being identical to columbo's, there is a distinct difference in that he is talking about one company with multiple AdWords accounts using the same keywords. I am talking about one company with one Adwords account that does not use the same keywords across sites.

Also, as Lakatos wrote, I don't think that in this case it even matters that each site/campaign has unique keywords as within one account Google will pick just one keyword anyway. As a matter of good practice it seems pointless for this company to use the same keywords in different campaigns or ad groups when there is such a plethora of good keywords to use.

I see that, if one were using multiple accounts (which this company most definitely is not), then Google can't connect them and prevent double serving. Thus we have the importance of the distinction between just one account and multiple accounts. But I would like to be corrected if I am wrong.